Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: ECMSpy and buelltooth adapter

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    178

    ECMSpy and buelltooth adapter

    So a piece of metal inside my hawk muffler broke off and is rattling around inside. Never liked the muffler myself and ive swapped it out for the stock pipe. Problem is that the prior owner had it dyno tuned (runs great!) but with the stock pipe installed now I need a stock map. I've read up on as much as I can regarding this problem and have made progress but am running into issues.

    I have a stock xb9s EEPROM in.txt format that was dumped from ecmspy
    I have a buelltooth adapter that connects OK to ECMdroid app but it uses .xpr format and I don't know of any way to convert
    My win7x64 laptop will connect to the buelltooth adapter (red light solid on buelltooth)
    I have installed ecmspy 1.12.27 but get a com port timeout error.
    Tried all com ports, even installing a new client com port for the bluetooth adapter.
    Tried 3 different bluetooth stacks
    I don't have an ecmspy cable
    Have not yet tried a different computer or bluetooth adapter (hopefully tomorrow)

    Ultimately I just want to upload a stock eeprom so the bike runs right. Figured I would use the buelltooth to connect ecmspy and upload but cant get it to work. Anyone have suggestions on getting the buelltooth to work with ecmspy version I have?

    Or does anyone have a stock eeprom in .xpr format I can use to burn?

    I want to go on a ride this weekend but don't want to reinstall my junk hawk muffler! help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Senior Member lowkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Bullhead AZ
    Posts
    745
    On your computer you say you can connect to the bluetooth adapter outside of ecmspy correct? make note of the COM port it is on. You have the drivers installed for ecmspy as well right? (have you ever had ECMSpy connected to the bike before in the past?) Here is a link to the needed driver https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/f...XMtMWvHEJ-VFSs
    Once you have the driver installed open up the program and navigate to the COM port you made note of outside of the software, key needs to be ON and kill switch needs to be ON as well to establish communications. Navigate to the EEPROM tab and download the EEPROM on your bike then upload the stock one you have in .txt format.

    Let me know if you got it working.

    EDIT: Also the COM port needs to be under a certain number, I know for sure it will work up to COM7 (this is the COM port when I connect through USB) but may work as high as COM11. (COM5 is my bluetooth connected port)
    Last edited by lowkey; 02-16-2018 at 03:49 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Cooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Crawling up your skirt
    Posts
    6,694
    Quote Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
    key needs to be ON and kill switch needs to be ON as well to establish communications.
    Good catch lowkey. Haha, I still do that. "WTF!? this damn thing was just working!!! Stupid POS!.... oh....."


    Alternatively, since ECMDroid works, you could find a stock map in .xpr? Maybe Buelltooth.com?

    Don't forget to doublecheck all your ECM parameters after the swap, .xpr transfers them from the donor bike as well. I don't know if the ECMSpy .txt file includes them or not.

    It's not the end of the world to ride it with a stock pipe and your Hawk tune. It will probably be a little rich but should be well within ECM correction factors to run well without fouling plugs.

  4. #4
    Senior Member lowkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Bullhead AZ
    Posts
    745
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I don't know if the ECMSpy .txt file includes them or not.
    Yes TPS value is for sure carried over from the donor bikes EEPROM so you would need to perform a TPS reset. I believe the AFV value is carried over but you always want to set this to 100% when doing changes like this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
    On your computer you say you can connect to the bluetooth adapter outside of ecmspy correct? make note of the COM port it is on. You have the drivers installed for ecmspy as well right? (have you ever had ECMSpy connected to the bike before in the past?) Here is a link to the needed driver https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/f...XMtMWvHEJ-VFSs
    Once you have the driver installed open up the program and navigate to the COM port you made note of outside of the software, key needs to be ON and kill switch needs to be ON as well to establish communications. Navigate to the EEPROM tab and download the EEPROM on your bike then upload the stock one you have in .txt format.

    Let me know if you got it working.

    EDIT: Also the COM port needs to be under a certain number, I know for sure it will work up to COM7 (this is the COM port when I connect through USB) but may work as high as COM11. (COM5 is my bluetooth connected port)
    I can connect tot the bt adapter outside of ecmspy, yes. Mine installed as com7 so I'm good there and I can connect to it using terminal emulation. I did not have ecmspy drivers though, I must have missed that part! I just installed the exe. I have never connected ecmspy before but the prior owner may have?

    I'm going to try installing the driver tonight and will report back!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post

    Alternatively, since ECMDroid works, you could find a stock map in .xpr? Maybe Buelltooth.com?

    Don't forget to doublecheck all your ECM parameters after the swap, .xpr transfers them from the donor bike as well. I don't know if the ECMSpy .txt file includes them or not.

    It's not the end of the world to ride it with a stock pipe and your Hawk tune. It will probably be a little rich but should be well within ECM correction factors to run well without fouling plugs.
    I emailed buelltooth earlier this week but no reply.

    Ha, yeah when I first tried the adapter with ecmdroid it took me longer than I'm happy to admit to realize kill switch had to be ON.

    I'll make sure to do a TPS reset as well, thanks for the tip!

    Good to know it should run ok. I haven't tried to run it yet, maybe I should tonight just to see. When I had my first Buell years ago I put a pipe on it with no tune and it ran like garbage so lesson learned there.

    Oh and I decided to buy an ecmspy cable anyway just in case. But I still want to get the bt adapter working because then the bike can be outside in the garage cold and I can be nice and warm in the house clicking away at the kitchen table

  7. #7
    Senior Member Silverrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,525
    I agree with what Cooter is saying , It will probably be a little rich but should be well within ECM correction factors to run well without fouling plugs. Leave the tune alone, it might run Great with a KN filter.

  8. #8
    Senior Member lowkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Bullhead AZ
    Posts
    745
    Quote Originally Posted by spymac View Post
    I can connect tot the bt adapter outside of ecmspy, yes. Mine installed as com7 so I'm good there and I can connect to it using terminal emulation. I did not have ecmspy drivers though, I must have missed that part! I just installed the exe. I have never connected ecmspy before but the prior owner may have?

    I'm going to try installing the driver tonight and will report back!
    spymac, that driver is needed no matter the connection desired (bluetooth/USB cable), without it you will never get a connection so that was most likely your problem... If you still run into trouble, you may need to uninstall ECMSpy and have the driver installed FIRST but most likely not. Also don't forget the above mentioned steps: backup (download) the current EEPROM first thing, upload the desired EEPROM.txt, make sure AFV is set to 100%, then perform the TPS reset.

    Doesn't hurt to look over your current EEPROM VS the one you got online somewhere also (as Cooter mentions). This can be done by opening two separate ECMSpy windows and loading the separate EEPROM files on each running window, you can have them side by side and look over each tab to compare against each other.

  9. #9
    Senior Member lowkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Bullhead AZ
    Posts
    745
    Quote Originally Posted by spymac View Post
    Oh and I decided to buy an ecmspy cable anyway just in case. But I still want to get the bt adapter working because then the bike can be outside in the garage cold and I can be nice and warm in the house clicking away at the kitchen table
    If only the bluetooth adaptors worked that well... you will be happy you have both connection options. Personally I only use USB when pushing data to the ECM anymore. Bluetooth is OK for logging or live data (out rinding the motorcycle) when it doesn't drop connection constantly.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    178
    Well I hopped on the bike after work and went on a little ride. Even with the stock pipe it runs fairly well. I should mention I do also have a k&n and an open airbox. There was a small hiccup at low speed when leaving my neighborhood but other than that it seems to run well. It does feel a bit down on power but maybe thats just the lack of noise. I do like it more now with the stock pipe simply because I can now hear music on my Cardo.

    lowkey, good suggestions, thank you. I agree with the bt adapter, its nice to have both options for different purposes.

    I do have another stock pipe that has been cut up, think I'm going to do the voodoo diy mod and see if that gets me back a little of the sound without being too loud.

    Tomorrow I'll be testing ecmspy with the driver and the cable should arrive too. Hope to test out the stock map and the race map and see if there is any difference.

    Thanks everyone for the help!



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •