Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small noise found. Please advise

Small noise found. Please advise

I wrote a long message from my phone but couldn't get the pictures to upload. Here is my 2nd attempt.

Look, I know that I haven't spent any time with the XB since my last post on the engine light. Life has been sugery, traveling for work, and dealing with actual heart level stuff at home. I'm a mess inside and am looking for a little help without getting reprimanded please. Life hurts right now and I really just want to be able to ride my Motorcycle and feel safe again.

Here is where the noise is. I think this controls the exhaust or maybe something near it. Can I replace, skip, or upgrade this box? Or do I need to pull it apart to work on it.

Please help... I could use a break
    Jesse15189104348551929386966.jpg

That is the exhaust valve actuator. You may be able to find someone selling one second hand as they are often removed when going with an aftermarket exhaust. I'm assuming you may be able to find one new but I don't know the part number off hand to look it up. If you want to upgrade your exhaust you can remove it and turn it off in the ecm with relative ease. It is not recommend to remove it and still run the stock exhaust as doing so will rob you of some power. There are many exhaust options to choose from, some great, some good, and some junk. I think someone may have attempted to fix their actuator but I've had a couple drinks and can't remember for sure if it was successful or not.

Open it up, the odds are that the gears have stripped, they make metal gears that you can replace them with, you'll have to look up where they're sold or some here will shine in. Don't be so apologetic, you don't have to live here to get help.
    Hang in there, time usually heals things, if you need someone to talk things over with, send me a PM, I'm probably older than most here.

Good luck.

If you don't feel like fixing it, you can find a replacement on ebay. It like $40.

The gears look brand new and still are greased with something white20180217_153345.jpg
    Last edited by HolyMoley; 02-18-2018 at 01:01 AM.

Pull on the cable and see if the exhaust valve opens smoothly, could be pinched or jammed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-04-BUE...Rafgcb&vxp=mtr

As Neil, said If you want to upgrade your exhaust you can remove it and turn it off in the ecm with relative ease.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 02-18-2018 at 02:52 AM.

I have the Hawk exhaust. Is that not an upgrade?

If you have the Hawk mod you don't need the actuator.

Ok so... If I just disconnect it 1st to make sure. Is it possible I mess anything up

FYI, do NOT rotate the actuator manually. If you want to manually check the exhaust valve, just pull the cable. Don't manually rotate the cable pulley.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast