Thread: XB9s with just 120 miles

XB9s with just 120 miles

Hello all in this great forum,

I found a 2003 XB9S 100% stock with just 120 miles garaged all this time. This gentleman has several bikes in his garage that's temperature controlled so most of them are either like new or actually new in the case of this XB9. I wanted a XB12SCG but I will def snatch this one from him.

What do I need to look for in a Buell that's has been garaged for 15 years but kept in like new conditions? What is a fair price?

Thank you all...

Replace the tires if you're going to ride it. Those 15 year old tires that are on it may look good and will be hard to toss but don't cheap out-your life depends on it!
    And the oil and brake fluid too...

Chicago is that you? LOL

Mosquito has it right, every fluid and every bit of rubber is now 16 years old. No mileage is much more of a minus that it is a plus.
    If you are putting this bike into your museum, it is a great addition! If you are planning on actually riding this neglected, lonely machine, you'll need some help.

"Mileage" is supposed to be a measure of wear and tear on a machine, right? That's why mileage is a measure of the machines value. This one is a big mystery, and it's cost should reflect that. Besides '03 is the first year of the XB, so you should upgrade the belt and other things as well.

Just the changes in humidity alone will cause condensation in the engine, make the oil acidic, and pit any piece of uncoated metal. Without running, oil doesn't get to circulate and coat raw metal to protect it. Who knows how many times he's started it in the garage and revved it, then shut it off again. Thats even worse for an engine.

These bikes are known for long mileage and dependability, so why not get the one you want (Scg) thats got 10k or more on it and has proven to be a functional machine?

If you are mechanically inclined (no offense, but you don't sound like it in your first post), go right ahead, you know what to do. Get a great deal because you'll be putting $1000 dollars into a battery, tires, fork seals, fluids, bearings, belt, etc.

Go for it, while i respect Cooters remarks and they could be accurate, it could also be just the opposite and you'll end up with a new machine in very nice shape.
    My 2007 SS only had 617 miles on it, under all the sawdust was a new bike that was purchased in Idaho and years later was shipped to Texas all by the original owner only to have his wife tell him she's pregnant and he can't ride his bike anymore.
    I changed all the fluids and tires, checked everything out, all is was good.

Also keep an eye on the wheel bearings, they could be dried out, that is, when you change the tires, re- lube the bearings then.

Good luck !

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    If you are mechanically inclined (no offense, but you don't sound like it in your first post)
    There's always a trump with a chip on his shoulder in every forum, geez!!

I appreciate your advice mosquito and njloco...

All my bikes have been metric and water cooled. The hardest to tune and work on was my 848 Evo and Diavel. Japanese bikes are easy to work on. I did help a friend of mine rebuild a 883 evolution engine which I wasn't very impressed with however, I did like its simplicity. My friend's HD 48 was covered in oil riding it out of the dealer. I will never buy a Harley but I always wondered what a Harley bike would look like if it actually had a performance. I'm intrigue with the Buells and getting performance out of a belt drive.

I'm pretty sure you're going to love it. I just got an '09 XB9 myself. I think the 9's engine is supposed to rev higher and bit a bit more responsive than the 12.

These bikes seem to hold up pretty well. Mine has 21000 miles. I replaced all the wheel and pulley bearings just to learn how to do it. Turned out to be unnecessary, as the original ones still looked fine. Belt drive also looks pretty good.

For comparison, I've got a Suzuki GS500 and Triumph Daytona. The Buell shakes at low rpms, but past 2000rpm I dare say it's my favorite motor of the three.

Pricing seems to vary by location. Around SF bikes in decent condition go for $3500-$5000, depending on extra equipment and how eager you are to buy one.

Calm down guy, your chip is bigger than mine. I said "no offense" and meant it. I wrote that because if you had mechanical experience, you'd know the answer to that question in the first place.

I love Buells and taking the time to give you my opinion is meant to help you. You asked and got an answer, sorry you didn't like it
    I would like you to have the best experience with a Buell that you can. You being unfamiliar with the brand and the mechanics, says this ain't the match for you.

Good luck buddy, I wish you the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Endopotential View Post
    Pricing seems to vary by location. Around SF bikes in decent condition go for $3500-$5000, depending on extra equipment and how eager you are to buy one.
    I was recently in Valencia visiting a friend and of course 6 flags and I did a CL local listings for Buells. Cali and Florida seem to have similar prices but I found lots of folks flipping these bikes. I saw 2 in South Cal and the guys selling them had no clue about what they were selling other than to keep mentioning that they were collector bikes. The guys in Florida are no different, I looked at one in the Panhandle where the guy didn't know the Buell he was selling had racing ecm, he was flipping his too.