Thread: grip recommendations?

grip recommendations?

My bike has aftermarket metal/rubber grips with a smooth metal bit on the inside of the bar that is actually a smaller diameter than the rest of the grip (highlighted in the red box in the attached pic)

i'm used to using the 'saddle' between my thumb and forefinger for the majority of the gripping of the throttle, and both the narrower diameter and the smooth finish of these grips is annoying as *!@$.

I don't necessarily want a huge diameter grip, but something that's knurled or rubber close to the switchgear would be good.

I'm considering just putting some grip tape or something on there for now but any recommendations on a *slightly* bigger OD grip with a nice diamond knurl finish in rubber or otherwise would be ideal?

I saw the thread on the HD grips on a buell but some of those look extra-big diameter wise?

I'm not married to metal as a material but i figure it might help quiet vibes? a plus would be red anodized accents to go with the cherry bomb plastics i discovered the PO had painted over, and i'm halfway thru reviving (needs more time spent on 800/1000/1500/2000/polish/buff but not bad for saving painted over parts, no?)

grips.jpg

20180126_155406.jpg Have them on every machine I own from track to street, dirt, etc.

The grips you need will be for a 7/8" bar. Most of the harley/cruiser stuff is 1".

I got a set of "Fat Grips" for 7/8" bar and immediately got another set for the other bike. I love them. The extra diameter helps with the stiff Buell throttle spring too.

I have just installed Biltwell recoil grips. Can't speak for longevity but they are really comfortable without being overtly large.

I use Progrip grips, (purchased at CycleGear) along with a Throttle Rocker on the Buell's & the DR DualSport. I have RA in both hands and right wrist. This combination allows me to go on long day rides in comfort. For me these grips are just the right diameter with just the right amount of "Cush". Before finding them I tried quite a few different grips. Most caused achyness, some were painful, others uncomfortable.

+1 ProGrips

Renthal offers their dual compound trips in a slightly larger diameter. I'm on my second set and like them. They are grippy and easy on gloves, but only last a few seasons.

I use Grab-On foam grips. They are a sleeve that slides on over your existing grips. I used hair spray to lube the sleeve when putting it on. The hair spray then adds some hold once it dries. I don't ride in the rain much as I live in the desert, so I don't know how water and the hair spray interact. But it's been on for well over a year with zero movement.

They are not pretty, but they are very comfortable. I'm really pleased with them and highly suggest giving them a try. For $15, why not. I got a second pair for my other bikes (Suzuki Bandit 1200 & DR650). I haven't put a set on my Bandit ye and really notice the difference in diameter. The Grab-On really take the strain off your hand when riding for long periods of time, Since you are not really grabbing onto the grips. I find I had noticeably less fatigue after doing a 300 mile ride. It also makes a difference when riding around town, although I do wear XXL gloves, so big hands may have something to do with it.