Thread: Advantages to a right side air scoop?

Advantages to a right side air scoop?

Does anyone know if there are advantages to installing a right side air scoop onto a xb9sx? Are modifications to part number M0851.7AA & M0852.7AA to fit an xb9sx?

Inactive
    there are 3 distinct advantages:
    1-more air flow to the rear cylinder and head promoting increased cooling over the stock fan.
    2-engine/seal/gasket longevity
    3-a tad more cooler to ride in high temps which is a welcome relief to your right inner thigh.

NO mods needed to the part numbers you listed which are the inner and outer scoop assembly. you will need quantity 3 of part number AN1005.3FSS they are the 3 outer scoop to inner scoop attachment screws though some folks source them locally to save a few $. i just order them when ordering the scoop assemblies. less hassle.

Listen to John.

A right side air scoop was one of the first things I did to my XB 2.5 years ago. My fan *rarely comes on - even in summer. If it does, it's because of traffic conditions causing extended stopping and idling. The right side scoop is just a smart move all around (in my opinion). As John said, it is easy to install in just a few minutes. Aesthetically, I think it balances the left side scoop and gives a more "appropriate" look to the bike as a whole.

I also have an XB9 with the right scoop. I almost never hear the fan go on while riding here around SF with 60-70F (when stopped at traffic light etc). I do hear it kick in once I've parked the bike at home.
    Is this pretty average behavior?
    Last edited by Endopotential; 02-26-2018 at 06:23 AM.

As john Said , especial you might Not have to change the rear rockers at 7.5K by having a kooler head.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Endopotential View Post
    I also have an XB9 with the right scoop. I almost never hear the fan go on while riding here around SF with 60-70F (when stopped at traffic light etc). I do here it kick in once I've parked the bike at home.
    Is this pretty average behavior?
    in the temps you stated it is precisely average behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    in the temps you stated it is precisely average behavior.
    Thanks for the replies and good information! I ordered mine, got old piece off and I hope to put the new scoop on later. Previous owner must have lost one of the torx machine screws and the rear screw was cross threaded and wedged in there good. Hopefully can get a few extra ones and correct threads or get a tap if i can find it for the thread. I'm guessing previous owner did a quick swap job on the scoop before selling or was not mechanically inclined bc I found two missing bolts on rear tail section under seat too besides this mess (fixed now). Oh also chin spoiler is missing a bolt.

Endopotential, my fan only runs so far when I shut the bike off but I've only ridden in sub 60F temperatures so far.

The chin fairing screws have a tendency to loosen up over time, blue Loctite ! I used internal tooth lock washers to prevent the lock washer from damaging the nylon washers.

The threads are 1/4"-20 if you want to chase them.

The fan running doesn't mean it's overheating, just normal operation, no worries.

What these guys said