Thread: Trickle chargers, good or bad?

Trickle chargers, good or bad?

Can leaving the battery installed and connected to a trickle charger over the winter be potentially harmful to the motorcycle in any way?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    Can leaving the battery installed and connected to a trickle charger over the winter be potentially harmful to the motorcycle in any way?
    to the motorcycle? NO
    to the battery? 1-in-3 odds says YES.
    as per Deltran techs a "tender" left attached and plugged in on a typically sized motorcycle battery will over a period of time.....get "confused" and show a false "fully charged" light. that period of time a crap-shoot and dependent on several variables. why does this happen? they don't know. how is it avoided? a simple plug-in timer. and how do i know this? a lengthy phone discussion with a Deltran tech about this very issue a few years ago.
    let the arguing and "i never had a problem" comments commence.

white-defiant-timers-26378-64_1000.jpg

Yes with a timer^^^ or like me plug and unplug or better yet I ride all year.

Perfect Lunatic, great solution (besides just riding more). That should be a sticky for our poor Buellers who live where winter actually exists.

Guess I avoided this by being too cheap to buy additional tenders for multiple bikes. Rotate from bike to bike throughout the winter months is another option.

Rob
    Last edited by midway; 03-11-2018 at 02:34 PM.

At least once a week, I plug and unplug three bikes with one Tender, one at a time. The longest any are left on is, if I fall asleep and unplug it the next morning.