Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 XB12X Ignition Fuse Blowing?

Question 2007 XB12X Ignition Fuse Blowing?

Just replaced the battery in my 2007 Ulysses and started it multiple times with no issues. Took it out for a ride this morning and it has never ran better! Got approximately .75 miles from my home and lost all power to the bike while riding down the road. Tried to restart it and no power to the gauge cluster. Pulled over and checked fuses, found 15 amp ignition fuse blown. Replaced it with the spare 15 amp fuse, now had power back to the gauge cluster, so restarted the bike. Bike ran for approximately 3-5 seconds and lost all power again. Checked ignition fuse again and it is blown again?!?!?! Any suggestions??

Trace the wiring. Sounds like a frayed wire making contact with something.

Is the battery positive red boot on the terminal where it should be? Sometimes the Uly seats hit it.

But yes, something in the ignition circuit is shorting to ground. Only you can find it.

The manual (with wiring diagram) is at Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com

Thanks guys... I checked the battery positive wire boot already so it looks like I will be tracing down some wiring.

Inactive
    in all likelihood it is 1 or more of the below all of which run on the ignition fuse circuitry. check all carefully. #1 in particular plagued many 05-07 model XB's:
    1-chafed fuel pump internal wire shorting to ground....offending wire typically color brown.
    2-rear injector positive feed wire rubbing on rocker box cover.
    3-infamous #77 connector flaring up. it's the large wiring connector behind the plastic front pulley cover that ties the VR and main power feed into the battery and rest of the electrical system.
    4-main wiring loom chafed and shorting out in vicinity of steering neck.
    5-small cluster of wires in insulated loom running from front of motor down over top of right side of muffler behind the lower cowling. often tend to rub against right side cowling-to-muffler bracket shorting out.
    NOTE: your next question typically is "how the hell do i check fuel pump internal wiring if at fault?" simple! and i'd do this before anything else in the steps i provided:
    A-key off....replace ignition fuse....go to left lower frame spar and locate your fuel pump. now unplug the wiring harness.
    B-key to on....red run switch to on. fuse ok? you just found the problem. it's the pump.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 03-01-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Thanks for the info lunaticfringe!

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by streetfighterxb9s View Post
    Thanks for the info lunaticfringe!

yes sir always my pleasure. with a dead-short such as this i always start with the easy, obvious known culprits first before tearing into wiring harnesses and bundles of wires which is a monumental PITA! start with the fuel pump as mentioned then move to the other items as mentioned. chances are excellent that's where the short will be found. let me know your progress/outcome as it helps other board members.

06 Ulysses
    I had the dreaded ignition fuse blowing problem and thought i'd add my experience for others that may have this problem in the future. I tried all the checks in Lunaticfringe's above post to no avail. After studying the wire diagram i figured out that you can hook up a meter between pin 4 on the diagnostic plug and ground. Set the meter to ohms if the meter reads 0 ohms then you have a short to ground. This lets you check the wire harness by moving it around and gives immediate feedback when you find the problem area without wasting a bunch of fuses. My problem was in wire that goes to the top of the motor and feeds the coil and injectors. About an inch above where it connects to the main harness on the left side of the front cylinder head. It had rubbed through the cloth loom tape and the insulation of the gray wire and shorted out on the plug wire. Easy fix after i found it!

Welcome Starman and good thinking on the wiring diagnostic.

Welcome Starman, how is Marion Ravenwood these days?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast