Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Damper rod range of motion....

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Those rubber parts have not been in any XB forks I’ve taken apart. BUt I haven’t had R forks apart before.

I ask about the settings and fork oil because you said it was too stiff no matter what the settings. At your geared up weight, and suspension preferences, 10W fork oil might be to thick.
    I really appreciate this statement Cooter. I don't blame people for shying away from this issue. I have to make the command decision to leave these spacers out or put them back, my life, my bike. It's about to snow here today so hanging around for someone else to step up with a second opinion is no problem. Maybe one could contact Showa? Just a thought, are they still making their products.

I'm used to a stiff front end so the 10 weight oil probably isn't going to disturb me.

Another thought that comes to mind is measuring the springs to the SM's tolerances in case these spacers were placed to compensate, or if having these spacers has put the springs out of tolerance is more important.
    Last edited by midway; 03-05-2018 at 05:41 PM.

But that’s just it. That “spacer” doesn’t seem to affect the spring because it goes around the stock spring spacer (metal tube). It looks like It it does compress between the fork slider and cap. That’s why I’m thinking bumpstop

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    But that’s just it. That “spacer” doesn’t seem to affect the spring because it goes around the stock spring spacer (metal tube). It looks like It it does compress between the fork slider and cap. That’s why I’m thinking bumpstop
    I'm beginning to see it this way too Cooter. Leaning toward leaving these "bump stops" in.

Springs are well above the minimum service length so no issues there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by midway; 03-05-2018 at 07:55 PM.

Inactive
    spacers.jpg
    those "things" in this seemingly endless thread are called spacer guides Rob and should NOT be reinstalled. someone installed them with the specific intent of increasing spring pre-load and length. remove them.
    how do i know? good friend of mine owns YSS-Australia. YSS to the Aussie continent is what Gabriel and RaceTech are to America. sent him a few of your pics with your question. if anyone would know he would, and he did. remove them.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 03-06-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Oh Good! That's one thing we didn't think of. Ask a professional...

Awesome Lunatic, thanks for the info and the effort Curious how they are supposed to add to the spring length/pre-load when the stock spring spacer fits through them and not against them? Not that it matters, I totally agree with not re-intalling them. Forks are a pretty simple thing, but VERY important to be set-up correctly and in pairs.

Hows your coffee?

Upon reassembly I realize as this picture shows these are not under any tension from the springs at all. They simply ride on the spring collar above the springs and give protection to the fork pistons leading edge. You would have be standing the bike on the front wheel (stoppie) to engage this bumper.... I won't be doing that. Unnecessary Ne'er-do-well equipment for sure. If we knew what they were called I bet we could google them... if I can dare to disagree either way not putting them back in.

here's some more ne'er-do-well equipment

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by midway; 03-06-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123