Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Damper rod range of motion....

Dude, you are waaaay out-thinking this. Yes. Any sharp edges. You just don't want to cut the lip on the seal, that's it, nothing special, total common sense.

It puts the plastic wrap over the end of the tube
    it installs the lubed dust seal
    it installs the spring clip
    it installs lubed seal (inner spring towards oil/ up)
    it removes the plastic wrap
    it put's on the slider bushing.

Then you can continue assembly. The manual is really very clear and precise about this.

I have only ever installed OE or AllBalls seals and never had one fail prematurely on any bike. Good brand IMO.

Cooter I think we clearly understand, it was the first time I've seen it mentioned and a good tip for sure. I outlined where I thought it would help and was right, but just as easily could have missed it. I probably have the worst memory out of every forum member here so if I don't constantly do a procedure I quickly forget. I make a point to document stuff and put it in digital folders to look back on to jog the brain.

Midway, you will be fine with the seals you've already bought. I just wanted to give feedback on the All-Balls alternative seals, as they so far have worked out very well for me.

lowkey, your on it bro. Always good advise from you

I hear ya in the memory department old sucks, and I'm too lazy to document stuff like you do....

and this delicious beer doesn't help either!

Double checking the reassembly tonight I find extra parts not shown in the service manual oO
    Someone had installed spacers, no wonder I was always trying to soften up the front end.
    I won't be putting these rubber 5/16" spacers back in. I'm not even sure where they go... but this is where they fit (1st image).

Are these used to stiffen up the springs? I don't weigh enough to need a stiffer ride so no modification for me please.

I perfectly calibrated the range of motion for the damper assemble. Seran wrap worked like a charm for the OEM seals. I'm all set for a much more comfortable ride. Here's some picks to finish the thread. If anyone knows what the benefits of modding the suspension with these spacers was for I would like to hear it.

This is the last of the ne'er-do-well surprizes on my Buell, nothing left to do but keep it upright this summer.... lets ride!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by midway; 03-05-2018 at 02:08 PM.

Tossing in my sleep until you guys I.D. these extra parts. I clearly don't see or read about them in the SM... any thoughts?
    Last edited by midway; 03-05-2018 at 02:17 PM.

I don't know what they are. Haven't seen them in fork that I can recall? Where they are, they would act like some kind of compression bump stop? Is it supposed to go between the preload adjuster and the spring? That would obviously raise the height a little and the 'stiffness'/pre-load as well.

Throw them in the junk drawer and go riding.

What weight fork oil are you going to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Where they are, they would act like some kind of compression bump stop? Is it supposed to go between the preload adjuster and the spring? That would obviously raise the height a little and the 'stiffness'/pre-load as well.
    I failed to take pictures during tear down so I'm left to wear mark clues as to their installation position. I'm certain now they are shown correctly in these images. There is a slight impression on one side of these very hard rubber spacers placing them as shown in this explode view I've revised.

If it the spring doesn't sit on it to change it's seated height, then it would act as a compression bump stop. Is this bike an Scg?

What is your total riding weight? (Geared up), and where were the settings set on the forks (at the most comfortable to you) before the tear down?

Unless someone can pipe in here that they've seen it before?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    If it the spring doesn't sit on it to change it's seated height, then it would act as a compression bump stop. Is this bike an Scg?

What is your total riding weight? (Geared up), and where were the settings set on the forks (at the most comfortable to you) before the tear down?
    2006 firebolt XB9R, 190 lbs. The reason I tore down was the inability to make the SM's rebound adjustment according to the weight chart. Whomever was in here limited the rebound range of motion either intentional or unwittingly. Given the added spacers I now think it could be either one.

Rebound range of motion has been restored to factory settings and i'm trying to find the confidence to discard the spaces but if they ARE factory and the SM is wrong (not the first error we've seen in this thread from my service manual)... well you can imagine my concern.

btw this is a quality weighted tool that if it works as good as it looks and feels is worth the money.
    Last edited by midway; 03-05-2018 at 04:43 PM.

Those rubber parts have not been in any XB forks I’ve taken apart. BUt I haven’t had R forks apart before.

I ask about the settings and fork oil because you said it was too stiff no matter what the settings. At your geared up weight, and suspension preferences, 10W fork oil might be to thick.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast