Thread: Buell Blast starting issues

Buell Blast starting issues

Hey guys, I sent a message to EZ over on Buellriders this morning about this issue, but I thought I'd post up here as well to see if I can get other ideas. I had a post about this last year, so mods if I need to combine the threads or something let me know.

Blast is hard to start. Once started, the bike runs great. It's just really hard to start. I feel like I've checked everything it could basically be at this point.

The bike is a 2001 Blast. It has had this starting issue since I got it (when it was stock), so the issue isn't due to modifications.

I'm running 46/175 jetting.

Velocity stack with outerwears filter
    Custom exhaust

I thought it could be the auto enricher since I knew mine wasn't working, so I just replaced that with no luck.

I'm running Dan's superboot.

New spark plug and wire.

Just checked timing last night and it's good.

Idle air mix screw 2.5 turns out

I can make the bike start by cranking it and putting my hand over the carb mouth for a couple seconds and then moving my hand away and it will usually start after I do that once or twice, which I believe means the bike needs more fuel on start up?

Any idea what my issue is?

Inactive
    never owned a blast nor have i ever worked on them but the stock carb is the keihin CV....isn't it? if so you need to check the starter plunger assembly. lever should lift it up from bottom of its port allowing enrichment via extra fuel flowing thru the carb air tract at start up. is it working? have you checked? delve into it because you're clearly fuel-starved during cold start. reach out for Jetlee on here. good guy and extremely blast knowledgeable. he'll be a big assistance if you can contact him.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    never owned a blast nor have i ever worked on them but the stock carb is the keihin CV....isn't it? if so you need to check the starter plunger assembly. lever should lift it up from bottom of its port allowing enrichment via extra fuel flowing thru the carb air tract at start up. is it working? have you checked? delve into it because you're clearly fuel-starved during cold start. reach out for Jetlee on here. good guy and extremely blast knowledgeable. he'll be a big assistance if you can contact him.
    Yep it is. Slightly different from the Sportster CV, but very close.

When you say "Starter Plunger" Are you talking about the Auto Enricher? It's essentially an electric choke on the blast. I replaced mine and have it set to the "full rich" setting (all the way open) on start up. It slowly closes over the course of a couple minutes as the bike warms up.

Unfortunately that wasn't my issue, but i may try cleaning the passages that lead to the enricher again, wondering if they are partially clogged....

Thanks for the input!

I shot Jet-Lee a message on the BuellRiders forum, if I don't hear back from him in another day, I'll message him on here as well (just didn't want to pester the poor guy!)