Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which rear axle

Which rear axle

I got a flat in the rear tire of my 1125CR. In removing the rear wheel, I noticed that the axle had been overtorqued and the center section of the shaft had more corrosion than would be expected for a natively Arizona bike. This prompted me to look in my parts bin and see if I had any other axles laying around. Several years back, I had seized the drive side rear wheel bearing on my '08 XB12Ss; I ended up shelling out for the upgraded 3-bearing wheel and axle installation kit from EBR. I vaguely recall that they sent me the wrong axle and had to send me a different one to get my XB back on the road. They didn't care to have me return the "wrong" axle. So I've got 3 axles in hand now, one is the corroded axle I pulled out of the 1125CR. Another is the stock axle for my '08 XB12Ss before I upgraded to the 3-bearing wheel. Lastly, I have a 3rd axle from EBR that did not fit my XB after upgrading to the 3-bearing wheel.

My question is, since the 3rd axle from EBR that didn't fit my XB is new and unused, can I install it in my 1125CR and expect all to be well despite still running a 2-bearing wheel? I'm not really sure what application it's for. Here's a pic of them all 3 side by side. From left to right: original '09 1125CR axle, original '08 XB12Ss axle, and new black axle that didn't fit my XB.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A 3 bearing axle needs to be with a 3 bearing wheel only.

I don't know if an 1125 axle is the same as an XB, but you can search here:
    https://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/webshop/searchparts.asp

for both and compare part numbers.

Inactive
    you composed a mini-novel earlier this week regarding buell EFI systems and ecm programming in particular....and can't decipher what will and will not work from your own pic and personal viewing of non-interchangeable threads????? seriously????

AS PICTURED:
    1-axle on left is original 1125 two-bearing ONLY hub rear axle. it is left hand thread. factory part # G0321.3AMA which supersedes non-A suffix axle.
    2-axle in middle is original XB rear axle....right hand threads of course. fits all 03-09 XB's. two bearing ONLY rear hub.
    3-axle on right is XB part # G0321.5AK...rear axle...right hand threads of course.....fits all XB's with two OR three bearing rear hub.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 03-09-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    you composed a mini-novel earlier this week regarding buell EFI systems and ecm programming in particular....and can't decipher what will and will not work from your own pic and personal viewing of non-interchangeable threads????? seriously????

AS PICTURED:
    1-axle on left is original 1125 two-bearing ONLY hub rear axle. it is left hand thread. factory part # G0321.3AMA which supersedes non-A suffix axle.
    2-axle in middle is original XB rear axle....right hand threads of course. fits all 03-09 XB's. two bearing ONLY rear hub.
    3-axle on right is XB part # G0321.5AK...rear axle...right hand threads of course.....fits all XB's with two OR three bearing rear hub.
    Wow, I didn't even think about the threads... derp. It's not easy to see in the picture I attached, but that's clearly a discerning factor in fit! Axle #2 is obviously ruled out since it came from the XB and is RH threaded. I doubt axle #3 is the part number you suggested though, because it's threads are LH threaded like the stock axle and that is exactly why it didn't work on my XB. It doesn't have a part number printed anywhere on it and the only printing on it says JAN 27 2010 and L/H L/H. I'm guessing that EBR sent me this axle as part of their 3-bearing installation kit (many years ago), but it was intended for either an 1190 or an 1125.

There some differences in dimensions, but overall length is the same as the stock part, again both are LH threaded. Pic attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2 and 3 bearing axles are the same?? Wow, I got learned today. Thanks Lunatic

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    2 and 3 bearing axles are the same?? Wow, I got learned today. Thanks Lunatic
    no shaughn they're not the same. the old style silver zinc colored rear axle is 2 bearing hub style only.
    same for that part #G0321.5AK and list price is approx. $76. has suffix B5Y after part # when ordering. right hand threads of course. all XB's all years 2 or 3 bearing hub.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 03-09-2018 at 04:15 PM.

So what is this left hand threaded new black axle I have? Will it work in the 1125?

It might be the EBR THREE BEARING REAR AXLE G0321.11AZ.
    Last edited by Mesozoic; 03-09-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Ahh, so the 2 bearing axle is for 2 bearing hubs only. Typically a OE supplied XB axle >'09 non-Uly-ish...

But the (B5Y) suffix axle will work on all XB's for 2 and 3 bearing hubs (I believe theres an extra spacer involved too?). It would be the one to replace a stock axle and use the stock wheel or use to upgrade an XB to use a 3 bearing Uly wheel. Good?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Ahh, so the 2 bearing axle is for 2 bearing hubs only. Typically a OE supplied XB axle >'09 non-Uly-ish...

But the (B5Y) suffix axle will work on all XB's for 2 and 3 bearing hubs (I believe theres an extra spacer involved too?). It would be the one to replace a stock axle and use the stock wheel or use to upgrade an XB to use a 3 bearing Uly wheel. Good?
    that is correct. see schematic and part numbers. the 3 bearing hub wheel has a few unique parts to it including the spacer you mentioned and a seal.

5820_20100910124152_L.jpg

Perfect. Thinking about a 3 bearing upgrade to the STT considering the bearing issues i had last trip. Granted they were new and it was an XB front but, worth the change I believe. Appreciate the info as always Lunatic!

Thanks for letting me hijack Meso

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast