Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Data Link Connector - Need Help!

Data Link Connector - Need Help!

This is driving me nuts. I have a 2008 Uly XT and my check engine light has come on periodically, so I went to check the codes. But to do that I need to find the Data Link Connector. According to my Wiring Diagnostics manual, it should be located under the left side air scoop. I removed the air scoop and did find some sort of port but it only has 3 wires inline, and definitely not the 4 wire square Data Link Connector. I also looked under the seat, and all over the rest of the bike, no luck.

Someone let me know, where is the DLC on 2008 Uly?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

The only place I haven't looked (yet) is behind the headlight, which according to the manual is only use for Firebolt models.

2009-Buell-Ulysses-XB12XTb.jpg
    I believe it is behind this "air flow" panel, see that black plastic piece below the seat along the silver seat rail in the picture? I think this is what they are referring to in the manual.
    Last edited by lowkey; 03-10-2018 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
    2009-Buell-Ulysses-XB12XTb.jpg
    I believe it is behind this "air flow" panel, see that black plastic piece below the seat along the silver seat rail in the picture? I think this is what they are referring to in the manual.
    YOU THE MAN!!!!

I looked at all the wires in the area and nothing goes there. The connector and all the wires are completely hidden until you pop the panel off. When the manual said "Left side airflow panel" I assumed they meant the left side airflow panel, which moves air to the rear cylinder on the left side. My bad. Let the trouble shooting continue, and thanks again for the tip.

No problem ontheroad68, I assume you've bought a bluetooth or USB communications link correct? If you run into trouble talking with the bike I can help with that, just post up the program you are intending to use and I'll walk you through it. If it is a windows based software (MONO or TunerProRT)you will need the serial/usb driver before it will work even if your communication link is bluetooth based.

For ECMDroid you will plug in the (BT only) link to the harness, turn key to ON position (headlight on), flip red toggle button at right grip control to ON position (fuel pump primes) bike not started. Go to bluetooth settings on Android device and make your device searchable or visible, find the new BT device listed and add it to the communications list (remember its name). Now start ECMDroid and click the plug icon (bottom right), a list of devices will pull up and you will select the name from previous step. If you plan to play with the program connected for a while I advise you pull the headlight fuse to keep from draining the battery to quickly, also a tender helps from keeping a heavy draw.
    Last edited by lowkey; 03-10-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Cool man, I also copied this, since I will soon start getting into this Bluetooth tec.

Got code 36, FAN. At this point the manual says I need a Break-out box, which I do not have. The CEL light has come on while riding, usually for just a minute or so. The other problem is that the FAM seems to run all the time while I am cruising down the highway but shuts off every time I come to a stop and idle at a light. it ALWAYS behaves this way, which is ass-backwards. what do you think? I was thinking about changing the temp. sensor but that is $90. Any ideas?

No on changing the temp sensor, error 36 - fan to ground short or open, check the plug on the fan to the harness for damage as well as if your rocker box has been leaking oil goes into the fan motor and can screw it up. You are getting the code through ECMDroid correct? There is a fan test feature listed in there that turns it on for about 30 seconds IIRC. Also doesn't hurt double check the grounds on the bike.

I turned the fan on a few times via ECM SPY and it seemed to work fine. Though it didn't always sound great, the bearing maybe on its way out. If there was a wire open it would be an intermittent fault, which is exactly what I have. I'll check the connections and such when I get home.

However, I've only had this bike a few months and the fan seems to work opposite of what it should. I've had another Uly several years ago and the fan only came on when the motor was hot, like it's supposed to. When I'm cruising on the highway at 70mph and it's 36* F the fan is running, and clearly it shouldn't be. I'm planning to install a new TUNE on the bike and see where that goes. Perhaps the PO screwed up the fan on the ECU?

I didn't say it was an open circuit, that is what the description is for 36 (ground short or open circuit). If the plug is not 100 or one of the wires insulation is worn and causing a short (intermittent) I can see the fan being on when it shouldn't for sure. It's only a couple fasteners (6?) once you get the shock out of the way if you can support the bike from the muffler or hang the frame, from there you should be able to evaluate what is going on better and where the problem lies.

So you are using ECMSpy MONO? What is the temp sensor reading? Does it follow logic normal logic? (cold engine relevant temp, climbs up as would be expected?). Does the fan come on as soon as you start the bike?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast