Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Data Link Connector - Need Help!

I haven't gotten in depth with the ECM spy yet, I just had time to plug it in, check the code and turn on the fan. I'd like to see what the parameters are for the fan, it seems to me they are set wrong. The Fan doesn't come on until I'm a mile or so down the road, and it ALWAYS shuts off as I am coming to a stop. Shortly after take off the fan comes back on.

How can I check engine temp while the bike is running? I suppose I will have to learn how to data log...

No need to datalog, no need to tune...

If you don't like the way the factory set up is on your bike, I would use a Buelltooth bluetooth connection to the FREE ECMDroid program and change the fan on/off temps to whatever you prefer. The are i the ECM Parameters and separate from any fuel 'tuning'.
    Un-check "speed-based fan control" while you're in there.

If the fan is intermittent or "didn't always sound great", I'd replace it. Even if it's not THE problem, it's A problem.

While its out see if its covered in oil. If so, get some rocker cover gaskets too, or the new one will be short lived.
    Last edited by Cooter; 03-11-2018 at 03:11 AM.

That sounds like the "speed based" fan control. What version of ECMSpy are you running? Is it MONO or an old version? If it is the old version you MAY be able to view the some of the EEPROM Data but most likely not as it is not made to work with ECM's past the 07 year model. If it is MONO (works with the later Buells) you can edit the fan control no problem. This still doesn't account for the error code 36 you have though so you will need to figure out why you are getting this...

As for Temp data you can view this live while connected to the bike and running (should be labeled CLT), you do not need to datalog to do this.

Checked the fan parameters this morning and they all looked normal, fan on at 220C, off at 180C. Next step is to start it up and check temps while running which I didn't have time to do today, so hopefully tomorrow. There is a switch for "speed based" fan control on the ECM spy that I can enable or disable. Thanks again for the help, I'll keep you posted.
    Last edited by ontheroad68; 03-11-2018 at 08:45 PM.

I'm going to just assume you do have ECMSpy MONO since you've not answered. Here is your "live data" overview window, second row from the bottom and in the middle is the temp sensor in C and F labeled "engine temp".
    lldata_overview.jpg

You will need to follow along with this link from the "live and log data" through the "overview" section to get live data within ECMSpy.
    http://www.ecmspy.com/ug_mono/V2.0/liveandlogdata.shtml

Hmm, not sure what the difference is between the Mono and the not, I just downloaded it onto my android device but it does not look like the screenshots you just sent. I have the option of looking at 4 different live parameters if that helps.

Android based software is called ECMDroid and is not affiliated with ECMSpy which is windows based software. For the software you have you will simply change one of the live data fields to CLT to get temperature sensor data.

Yep, using the ECM droid. Live temps look normal for the minut or so I checked, but the CEL is on steady now and the fan code 36 will not clear. I should have some time this week to pull the rear shock and fan and look around. At first glance I didn't notice any oil leaking from the rocker cover. However, looking closely at the wiring harness going into the ECM several wires have chafing, down to the copper. This will be corrected, but I'm not sure what the PO was doing to this bike. Will report back when I can get the fan out.

So I pulled the rear shock and fan to do some research and this is what I found:

- Before I pulled the fan out the CEL remained constant and code 36 (fan) will not clear, fan tested fine before CEL was on constantly.
    - Yellow/Brown wire is sending clean power to the fan plug, checked with test light.
    - Examined all wires that I can see and all look fine.
    - Checked Black/orange wire short to Ground with meter, none found.
    - With the Fan fuse pulled the code 36 still does not clear

There are 2 wires going to the fan yellow/brown (POWER), Black/Orange (GROUND?). There are 2 Black/Orange wires from the ECU that, according to the wiring diagram, splice together into one wire at some point. So if I am reading this correctly, one of the Black/Orange wires is bad somewhere between the ECU and the Fan OR the ECU is Bad?

Help?

I'm the first to admit I hate tracking wiring harness issues. Maybe the next step is to de-pin the ECM plug of those two wires and run two of your own to the fan to test if you can get the CEL to go away? I haven't had to de-pin the ECM plugs so no idea how easy it would be to find the same pins for your temporary wires though.
    I don't think it is a bad ECM though, wiring harness or resistance of a going bad/bad motor most likely. Fuse was not blown for sure right? Also makes since without the fuse you couldn't get the CEL to clear.

Had a look at my 07's EEPROM data and it appears there are 3 "fan feedback" parameters to the ECM.

1. fan feedback number of errors - 100 per fan period
    2. fan feedback off time before test - 1 milliseconds
    3. fan feedback upper limit - 64 (no idea what this value is related to)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast