I noticed this when I first purchased the bike used, but the problem seems to have gotten a bit worse. Seems to be an electrical issue of some kind and just wanted to see if anyone has heard of or experienced the same issue before I start tearing into the machine.

Often, when turning the key to the on/run position, regardless of the position of the starter enable switch, the dash will not power up. When this occurs, the headlamps turn on fine, but the ECM must not be turned on because the bike will not turn over. Cycling the key once or twice sometimes gets the dash power back and the bike will start. Every so often, the bike will stop running while riding it. Particularly dangerous while in a turn. Usually happens at low speeds however, I've never had it turn off on me while running at speed. This afternoon I tried to fire the bike up after having it sit for several days while I installed new tires and put the wheels back on. Was unable to get the dash to power up after cycling the key many times. Finally, I decided to sit on the bike, keeping it upright and pulled the clutch lever in... then the dash powered up and I was able to start the engine.

I have reason to believe that the dash cluster (OE) has been replaced at one point. The date imprinted on the cluster itself is much newer than the bike's date of manufacture, so that is why I'm led to believe that. Also, I do not get an IAT indication, ever... I thought that these bikes will display the intake air temperature in the right mode, but mine does not do that.

If anyone has any experience with these machines and their quirks, please speak up. Thanks in advance!