Thread: 1999 Buell X1 - Oil Pump Pinion Gear and other updates

1999 Buell X1 - Oil Pump Pinion Gear and other updates

Just picked up a 1999 Buell X1 with 20,000 KMS or 12,000 Miles. The previous owner didn't strike me as too handy so I thought I would check for some common updates. For the price of $2.50 I thought it would be wise to review the oil pump pinion drive gear. The gear looks like new and from what I have read on the various tuber posts it should be ok to leave it but to monitor it. It sounds like the oil pump on the early XBs was relocated and they do not experience the problem of imploding oil pumps at the same rate as the tuber. Check out my video. I think at the end I banged my head off the handle grips. Sorry for being shaky, its hard to hold the camera still and rotate the rear wheel.

As a precaution I am replacing the Primary Chain Adjuster. The bike has the original (thin) adjuster.

I don't plan on abusing the bike or doing any performance upgrades. Is there any other gotcha's i should check while I have the heads off to fix leaky rocker box gaskets and leaky base gaskets.

I plan on replacing
    - head gaskets
    - rocker box gaskets
    - base gaskets
    - intake and exhaust gaskets

Any input would be appreciated.

https://youtu.be/yBQeWFT_ACE

Oh and Pics!!!
    036.jpg037.jpg

Welcome. Nice looking bike-

The main updates off the top of my head are most of the ones you already said.

-The oil drive gear, upgraded to bronze
    -There was also an updated and better oil pump
    -Primary shoe

Also, the front isolator and rear isolators have been redesigned, updated shifter, possible shock (cant remember if the 99 had the recall shock), front exhaust hanger.

Also, over time the rivet plate in the clutch pack can go and mess a lot up. There is a extra plate clutch pack available from a few makers. Im in the middle of replacing mine now.

Those are the main items that you want to keep an eye on. I would also suggest replacing at let the 2 main front engine mount bolts. These are know to break at any time and cause head damage. Let me know if you are in need as this is a product i carry. if not you should still be able to get them at the dealer.

Fresh base and head gaskets are away a plus. Intake seals as well, though they can be a bit tricky to get seated. Take your time and make sure to follow the procedure on these. The handy bend allen wrench for this is also helpful.

Also while you are at it, i would get ECMSpy and a cable and do a TPS reset.

Thank you for the suggestions!

I do have ECMspy and a cable. I'm going to order a BuellTooth adapter and install the Android version of the Buell ECM softare.

I have decided to monitor my oil pump drive gear and clutch spring pack. The motorcycle is for "dressing up" and will not be using it as a daily driver. I have a 2008 Uylesses for that :-)

The motorcycle is a 1999, it has the older detent plate and I'm not sure about the engine mount bolts. I will order a set of bolts since I will be pulling the heads off anyways. I did replace 3 of the 4 exhaust studs. No matter how much I tried I couldn't get the last stud out. If it didn't snap with all the force I was applying, its in fine shape.

Found an easy way to remove the throttle body and intake manifold without separating the the two.
    1. Waite for rocker box to leak
    2. Pull rocker box to replace gasket
    3. Cut down 1/4” Allen Key
    4. Remove gear side Allen bolts from intake manifold

Wasn’t that bad at all

To work on my buell I now almost have a complete set of cut down Allen keys :-)