Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electrical issue? Possibly? 2004 XB12s

so I got the battery. Put it on the bike and the fan kicked on and ran without stopping. I had no lights, no dash. I pulled the relays one by one and it didn't change anything, fan still ran, no dash. Wouldn't crank or turn. Grounds all seem good. Same fuses not getting power. Diode has been in same position. Not even sure what a diode is for??

At a loss on this. Going to let it sit on the battery tender tonight and give it another go tomorrow.

And thank you for he responses and help with this.

Inactive
    Not even sure what a diode is for??

it insures that current only flows in one direction.....the direction of the arrow.
    two quick questions then i'm out of ideas:
    1-did you CROSS THE BATTERY CABLES when originally installing the first battery you purchased and installed?
    2-fan on...dead dash cluster.....typically key switch relay at fault. have you tried a known good one?

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    Not even sure what a diode is for??

it insures that current only flows in one direction.....the direction of the arrow.
    two quick questions then i'm out of ideas:

1-did you CROSS THE BATTERY CABLES when originally installing the first battery you purchased and installed?
    2-fan on...dead dash cluster.....typically key switch relay at fault. have you tried a known good one?
    Thanks on the diode. I'll verify that direction but I'm confident that didn't change.

As for the relay, I have a new relay from Harley. I did rotate it on the old batter but did not on the new battery. When I puked the relays one by one on the new battery, the fan did stop and the other symptoms remained the same. I'll put the relay on a multimeter then replace that key switch relay.

Thanks.

Inactive
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    can you verify my question #1???????? your symptoms indicative of same.

I believe the diode is unrelated. It affects the neutral light and clutch switch.

There is something really wonky going on, and the hunt and peck you've been doing hasn't resolved it (obviously). I'd forget about the fan for a moment. It's time to forget all you have thought so far, get a big, clear copy of the wiring diagram.

Start from the battery positive to the relay/fuse box. Check/trace wiring and test each component in order. By hand, no cheating! It is tedious, but absolutely necessary. It really doesn't take that long and it will find your issue. Guessing hasn't done you any good so far.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    100% did not cross cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I believe the diode is unrelated. It affects the neutral light and clutch switch.

There is something really wonky going on, and the hunt and peck you've been doing hasn't resolved it (obviously). I'd forget about the fan for a moment. It's time to forget all you have thought so far, get a big, clear copy of the wiring diagram.

Start from the battery positive to the relay/fuse box. Check/trace wiring and test each component in order. By hand, no cheating! It is tedious, but absolutely necessary. It really doesn't take that long and it will find your issue. Guessing hasn't done you any good so far.
    Tedious but necessary. Ill do that tonight. Thanks Cooter.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welp turns out I had reversed the cables, but not because I put them on the wrong sides....technically. Reason being, the Harley battery has positive on the (for purposes of orientation, if I'm riding the mororcycle)right side of the bike and the negative on the left side of the bike.

The deka battery I purchased via that link is reversed, positive on left side, negative on right side.

However, by design I'm guessing to avoid this situation from happening, the negative cable doesn't even reach that opposite(right side).

So now that I've crossed the cables, what's the damage?

I was JUST coming here to say that!!! Crap, sorry too late.

There has been couple threads on the fan running like that with nothing else and for the same reason
    IIRC there really wasn't any adverse affects? Put the right battery in and hook it up right, turn it on and see what happens? Theres really nothing else you can do. Whatever damage (if any) has been done. It's done.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast