Thread: Engine running too lean for over 4 years

Stock ECM / K&N + Jardine: engine running too lean?

Hi peeps!

After some research on the background of my XB12Scg (‘05), I discovered that no adjustments were made on the ECM after installing the high flow air filter (K&N) and the Jardine exhaust... in 2013.

I made extensive research on the forum (even found the buyers guide specifically recommending for checking this part... too bad I didn’t find it before buying the thing!) and obviously all comments validate the need for a custom ECM to adapt the changes.

Froom here, I’ll request the custom ECM to BuellTooth (bought mine on eBay) and update the damn thing with more appropriate settings.

What’s done can’t be undone, but with that in mind, I am just wondering if any damage could’ve been done on the engine for running over 4 years and 10 000 miles with a lean setting. I have several things to fix on the bike already and I don’t want to go all direction. Having a bit of clarity on the potential consequences of this would be useful!

Thanks 👌

Max.
    Last edited by herwawan; 03-16-2018 at 08:03 PM.

XB do not run lean. In CL the mixture is stoich, in OL OLL will prevent them from running lean.

edit: typo

Quote Originally Posted by gunter View Post
    XB do not run lean. In CL the mixture is stoich, in OL OLL will prevent them from running lean.

edit: typo
    Okay! Could you please define CL AND OL OLL?

CL: Closed Loop operation (part throttle cruising) where the stock ECM uses the O2 sensor in the exhaust to adjust to stoic operation (14.7-1 AFR). Not lean

OL: Open loop (hard throttle use) , where the stock ECM uses the internal fuel map to know how much fuel to put in the bike because the O2 sensor isn't fast enough to keep up.

OLL: Open Loop Learn, where the stock ECM 'learns' how the bike is running during open loop and adds or subtracts fuel as necessary (changes the AFV), so it runs well.

Your stock ECM just might have had the fuel program for the Jardine in it anyway. Unless you compare the stock and Jardine maps side by side you won't know. Basically, if your bike was running lean enough to cause an issue, you would have known a long time ago.

Welcome to the magic of fuel injection
    Last edited by Cooter; 03-17-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    CL: Closed Loop operation (part throttle cruising) where the stock ECM uses the O2 sensor in the exhaust to adjust to stoic operation (14.7-1 AFR). Not lean

OL: Open loop (hard throttle use) , where the stock ECM uses the internal fuel map to know how much fuel to put in the bike because the O2 sensor isn't fast enough to keep up.

OLL: Open Loop Learn, where the stock ECM 'learns' how the bike is running during open loop and adds or subtracts fuel as necessary (changes the AFV), so it runs well.

Your stock ECM just might have had the fuel program for the Jardine in it anyway. Unless you compare the stock and Jardine maps side by side you won't know. Basically, if your bike was running lean enough to cause an issue, you would have known a long time ago.

Welcome to the magic of fuel injection
    Ha! Yeah well I literally just started riding it so it would be hard for me to tell!

I just wanted to bring the topic before moving forward! Thank you for the information, it’s very good knowledge

Last edited by herwawan; 03-18-2018 at 03:45 PM.