Thread: 1999 Buell X1 only running on Front Cylinder

1999 Buell X1 only running on Front Cylinder

UGH...

Just finished putting my X1 back together after replacing:
    - rocker box gaskets
    - head gaskets
    - base gaskets

To access the front cylinder I disconnected the front isolator and motor mounts and rotated the engine down a little, maybe 2 inches. I cut a handful of wire ties to loosen up the main wire harness so I could pull it aside to access the top of the front cylinder.

I put everything back together and only the front cylinder is running.

I do have spark on the rear cylinder but the plug was not "soaked" with gas after running for a minute or two. The battery is good and I dont have a fault CEL light on. I don't have my ECM spy cable handy either.

I'm hoping I have swapped a cable, possibly the spark plug cable or injector cable but I have to verify.

Any suggestions before I get my multi-meter out and start tracing the wireing harness

Sorry, but thats kind of an impossible question, you'll just have to go back over your work. Wish my crystal ball could help ya

what your crystal ball isn't working either... I was hopping it was just mine.

DOUBLE UGH! Just did a compression test and it didn’t go well. I suspect I bent a valve when I assembled the head. I did torque the rocker box down slowly with the piston at top dead centre. I was also able to easily turn the engine over in 5th gear at the rear wheel. I’m a little confused

I DID NOT let my lifters bleed down after I reassembled the head and rotated the rear wheel.

Yep, bent the exhaust valve! DAMN! More Parts!

Banned
    What is bleed down? Maybe you installed pushrod not in the lifter center so it rested on the lifter edge? Or maybe you mixed the pushrods?
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 03-21-2018 at 12:56 AM.

The lifters only have a very tiny hole in them and they are pumped up full of oil. As you know, liquids do not compress like air does.
    So if you rush re-assembling the head by torquing it down too quickly, the pressure from the push rod trying to collapse the lifter is too much and something will have to give. Usually the pushrod? I'm surprised the valve got bent!

Sorry pdksh, that sucks man.

This girl is a SASSY BITCH! I re-assembled the rear cylinder after I replaced the bent valve (thanks to St. Paul HD) and re-used the rocker box, head and base gaskets (James gasket) since the rear cylinder never fired and the bike never performed a heat cycle.

Fired right up and OIL started spitting from the base gasket or push rod tubes. I’m more suspicious of the reused base gasket. UGH! More Parts! At least the local HD Steeler will have the gaskets in stock.

I just want to polish and ride (in that order) I can now strip the cylinders out of a tuber in my sleep. Thank goodness it’s not an XB!