Thread: 1999 Buell X1 - Gap between gas tank and seat

1999 Buell X1 - Gap between gas tank and seat

My buell X1 has a cosmetic problem and no matter what I do I can't seem to fix it.

The bike didn't have the rear fuel tank mount so I sourced one from Facebook of all places. (ordering buell parts is as much an adventure as riding them) I figured the gap between the seat and gas tank would be corrected by the bracket. There is a gap of about 3/4" between the front of the seat and the gas tank. Usually the seat of most motorcycles, buts right against the tank or if there is a gap its minimal. The tank mount is in fine shape, it does not appear to be bent and I followed the parts catalog and service manual on how to properly install the bracket. (see my other X1 posts hehehehe). I have played with the tank, the bracket and the seat latch as much as I can. I even tried messing with the rear aluminum sub frame to make the gap smaller. The bike appears to have been dropped in a parking log at very low speed so I don't suspect a bent frame or bent tail section.

On the underside of the seat and on the frame of the bike is a clip. They don't seem to "snap" together. Judging by the shape of the clips they barely even touch.

Is this gap petty common? I don't want to get the seat recovered, just to find out that I still have a gap. This gap is too large to be from the show room, no one would accept this level of fit and finish.

037.jpg

012.jpg

Pic of the tank mount

I used a heat gun to reform the seat belly pan. Worked well. One or two more zaps with the heat gun and it should be perfect