Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On the hunt for an XB: discouraged thus far

On the hunt for an XB: discouraged thus far

Hello,
    New guy looking to purchase my first Buell. I am not having very good luck thus far in my search for a well kept XB. I have looked at an 06 XB12Ss model, and an 07 XB12X. Both bikes were praised as in good condition, but upon inspection both were not without fault. The Ss was riddled with oil spatter all over the right side lower cowl, as well as leaking rear base gasket, and weeping push rod covers. It had other minor issues that just cost money to fix, but it was not far away to look at.
    I drove over 2 hours to look at the Uly which had some nice extras with it. It was in better condition, but still had a front weeping push rod cover, and the rear base gasket was leaking slightly. There was also a very wet gritty mess by the starter area. Is this the kind of condition I should expect to purchase used Buells in? I can fix the problems I have seen, but don't want to wrench right now. I am getting discouraged by asking prices on the market as they seem to be creeping upward. Maybe this isn't prime time of the year to pick the litter for Buells in the midwest? I am looking for an Ss, or Uly if anyone knows of something clean, and proper near central Indiana.

I wish you'd been on here a few weeks ago maybe you could've saved me a trip to indiana to get a boat, well to not get a boat i guess, long story. Anywho, what kind of price range are you looking for? What mileage are you looking for? Sounds like you want a long frame model, STT's always used to go cheaper than most it seemed, but they are hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    I wish you'd been on here a few weeks ago maybe you could've saved me a trip to indiana to get a boat, well to not get a boat i guess, long story. Anywho, what kind of price range are you looking for? What mileage are you looking for? Sounds like you want a long frame model, STT's always used to go cheaper than most it seemed, but they are hard to come by.
    I am looking for a long frame, I would prefer the Ss, but the other models would suffice. I may even decide I like Uly/XT/TT better, who knows! My budget is $3500, mileage under 25k is ideal, but I could do up to 40k if the price is right. The budget can slide a little higher if the right machine is available. I scour craigslist, cycletrader, ebay, and autorv daily. I am a little hesitant to travel very far just based on my experience buying used. You just never know other peoples idea of "great condition" really means.

Hate to say it, but you probably won't find a pristine xb12x/xt/tt for under 5500. My Uly's not perfect by any stretch and I'm asking $6500 for it. Only 15k miles, bags and some other bits, full custom polished exhaust, programmable ecm, widebands, etc. Tbh, $3500 might get you an average one with 40k+ miles, but it's going to be "well loved" condition. Later year model versions also command a slightly higher price, mainly due to general upgrades from the factory, ie; better oiling/crank, etc.

Inactive
    don't know where you are located.....i'm in southern PA.
    have this 2009 ulysses X coming in on a trade probably end of next week. original owner, flawless, will have new tires and fully serviced with fresh fluids, etc 7000 original miles and probably priced @ around $5800 which might be out of your range. can let you know if interested. 00R0R_gkKVegRGAM_600x450.jpg
    Last edited by user_deleted; 03-22-2018 at 01:25 PM.

Lunatic, I am located in central, IN. I appreciate the offer, but at that distance to travel, and asking price, its a no go for me. So it seems at the price I'm looking at, I should expect plenty of wear and tear? I'm not shopping for perfect condition, all I really care about is solid mechanical machine. The prices I see used are above the average book value, some well above. I don't mind fixing bolt-on items, but engine work is a non starter for me at this time. I will not ride a motorcycle with anything leaking. I don't mind paying more, I just can't stretch to far at this time.

Much like Dean explained, for the $3500 range most buells are "well loved" Likely to have rocker box leaks, pushrod cover leaks, need a tune up and so on. Those are all pretty easy cheap fixes really, I mean I'd say to do all the easy common seal leaks, tune up, service, and fix any minor stuff you'd have around $150 Maybe $200 in parts, gaskets, oil, spark plugs and maybe some nuts and bolts. Its kinda the expected drop in the bucket when buying any used bike, especially a Harley powered one.

this uly for example is a more realistic starting price and im sure most people will deal, buells can be hard to sell around here. https://wichita.craigslist.org/mcy/d...534158550.html

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    don't know where you are located.....i'm in southern PA.
    have this 2009 ulysses X coming in on a trade probably end of next week. original owner, flawless, will have new tires and fully serviced with fresh fluids, etc 7000 original miles and probably priced @ around $5800 which might be out of your range. can let you know if interested. 00R0R_gkKVegRGAM_600x450.jpg
    also.... that is a damn good deal and i would not hesitate to drive to PA to get it if John says its G2G!

I can see my initial expectation were set too high for my budget, understood. So let me throw this out there for an opinion... A 2006 Lightning Ss, 18.5k miles, needs push rod cover gaskets, base gaskets, likely a cometic gasket kit, mystery oil spatter on bottom(possible loose oil filter?), needs new front rotor/pads, but otherwise looks good with no signs of being on its side. I sat on it, and heard it run, watched owner drive away after I turned down a negotiated offer just under $2,000. It may still be available, all I have to do is send a text. Would anyone buy it knowing a full tear down will be required from the start?

Banned
    Pushrod cover gasket means it needs full set of gaskets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast