Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: On the hunt for an XB: discouraged thus far

$125 for gasket set, $300+ for rotor, hardware & pads. Several hours of labor to tear it down and fix the leaks. If $$ is the issue as in you don't have a lot to spend on it, yeah, $2k is a decent enough deal. There are plenty of bikes out there though, some with no leaks, but you never really know what you're getting into until it's too late anyway. I bought and sold 6 or 7 bikes last year. About 1/2 of them were ok, the rest required a fair amount of work to get them up to snuff. 2 of them just got passed on as they were.
    Last edited by d_adams; 03-22-2018 at 04:06 PM.

I would say that it mostly depends of what you're expecting from the bike.

Getting a cheap bike with work to do, you know you most likely won't daily drive it anytime soon, and it will be few hundreds (sometime thousand) dollars of parts/service plus a lot of your time. For some people, it's fun and they like the hassle (I'm one of them, bought mine for less than $3000 (with 25k miles and a shady past), but I put another $1000+ on top and over one month of work to make it safe). Except that there's a big "luck" factor when you're buying a bike with work to do - because you never know how bad it can be, as previous owners can be pretty rough with these things.

When you're putting a little more money, you know what you're paying for and John's offer is a perfect example. For $5800, you have a fully ready to drive, well maintained and reliable bike. It's hassle free, it fits your criteria and you won't have to spend nights and weekend wrenching it. Just enjoy it.

If you're on the market for a bike to ride, consider putting more money. If you want to work on your bike and have it as a project for your evenings and weekend, keep looking! (and the Ss you're mentioning, if it didn't feel right on the moment, just move on. Plus, you said earlier you don't want anything that leaks, which is understandable).

IMO, Buells are not bikes that like to be pristine and babied. Buy a BMW or Ducati for that. herawan is right, nice is expensive, and cheap ain't nice.

FWIW. You seem pretty particular about 'leaks'. There is a big difference between an oil leak that needs to be fixed and a damp spot near a gasket surface that collects dust. No seal is 100% and a simple lack of cleaning the area + 10K miles can make a non-problem seem like a problem. IMO, if a single drop hasn't hit the ground it's not a leak, it's dirt.

An '06 Ss that is under $2k and runs?? I would snatch it up, and ride the crap out of it.

Buellybagger just posted this:
    https://wichita.craigslist.org/mcy/d...534158550.html
    Last edited by Cooter; 03-22-2018 at 04:49 PM.

I have no issue with doing the work, have rebuilt sportsters before. I just wasn't necessarily wanting to buy a project at this time. It seems as though I may reconsider the SS since it does seem to run just fine.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    also.... that is a damn good deal and i would not hesitate to drive to PA to get it if John says its G2G!
    thanks a ton for the kind words Cody. coming from you that means alot. i serviced this piece a few times thru the years and it is exceptional.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 03-22-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Inactive
    IMO, Buells are not bikes that like to be pristine and babied. Buy a BMW or Ducati for that.

i'm going to show the "cupcake" this snide comment tonite Shaughn when she swings by for dinner. it will completely ruin her sunday brunch ride to Buddy's in Bethel Paige last weekend. just so ya know!mmmmm.jpg

Shaughn, you fu@ked up now! You know what that woman carries in that hard luggage on that Bimmer? Embalming fluid, she is what's known as a "CLEANER" in the dark world of the mafia. Nice knowing ya man.....

No need for embalming fluid when they're sleeping with the fishes or holding up a concrete pier in NJ

Fagetaboutit, we don't do that in NJ anymore, it's not politically correct. !

A member here found an SS 07 in Houston TX, he lists it on Bullet bagger's for sale, I bought it and had it shipped here with only seeing a picture, it ended up only having 617 miles on it, underneath all the sawdust was a new totally stock Buell SS.

Keep looking if you don't want a project, they're out there just be patient.

Good luck !
    Last edited by njloco; 03-23-2018 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Fagetaboutit, we don't do that in NJ anymore, it's not politically correct. !

A member here found an SS 07 in Houston TX, had it shipped here with only seeing a picture, it had 617 miles on it, underneath all the sawdust was a new totally stock Buell SS.

Keep looking if you don't want a project, they're out there just be patient.

Good luck !
    damn, that's almost a barn find story
    How is shipping these days? It seems private sales may be difficult for that? Do most dealers do this as a norm today?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast