Thread: Weak/Slow Start, then runs great...

Weak/Slow Start, then runs great...

Any thoughts? I have a 2009 XB12R, and I purchased a new battery last fall and had it connected to a trickle charger. I read through these forums and learned that those are not the best so I took it off earlier this week. The issue still remains. It sounds as if the bike has a slight pause as it tries to turn over the first time (sounds like a weak starting sound)...however, once it does turn over the bike runs great and has no other issues. Sorry for the lack of technical details, I've never had the pleasure of learning the ins and outs of the mechanics world...I used to support my local economy by taking the Buell to a local mechanic, however there aren't very many of them left these days. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all very much!

It sounds like you are describing slow cranking not slow "starting". Yes?

If so, it's pretty common for a high compression V-twin like a Buell. Thats why they recommend a 220CCA battery and not the cheaper 200CCA versions.

You can use a trickle charger (and you should), but put it on a timer so it shuts off for about half a day everyday and it shouldn't overcharge and fry the battery. Floating ground chargers (especially cheap ones) can over heat and dry out a battery.

If the battery is a cheap one or it's just getting old, try the Lunaticfringe Invented Pressing Starter (L.I.P.S.), Buell Operation Over Battery System (B.O.O.B.S.):

Turn on the ignition and run switch, press the starter button for a fraction of a second and immediately release it and press it again and hold it until is starts. This will let the piston butt up against the compression in the cylinder then bounce back and you can use that momentum to now get it over TDC.
    Last edited by Cooter; 03-23-2018 at 11:54 PM.

Excellent, that makes perfect sense. I plan on picking up a 220CCA battery tomorrow and seeing if that shows an improvement. Thank you very much for the input

You're welcome I'm sure it will

Inactive
    If the battery is a cheap one or it's just getting old, try the Lunaticfringe Invented Pressing Starter (L.I.P.S.), Buell Operation Over Battery System (B.O.O.B.S.):

LOL Shaughn! you never cease to amaze me son. LOL

just as he described you're experiencing what i call "compression bump". when the motor was last shut off one piston just randomly parked itself close to TDC on the compression stroke and there it sat. a healthy motor will hold compression for a substantial period of time in that position. then as you attempt to initially start the bike the battery not only is powering up the entire electrical system including fuel pump but must crank over a pair of 89mm pistons running a 10:1 compression ratio with aggressive cam timing. it's asking an awful lot from even the strongest of batteries. many large displacement V-twins thru the years have had automatic compression relief aids to help over-come "compression bump" but buells do not.
    see link below. you REALLY NEED 220 CCA's as rated accurately. Chinese garbage off-shore batteries typically rated
    @ 200 CCA's and it's a meaningless number as they're substantially less than advertised.
    your battery of choice is the ETX14 branded as either Deka, Big Crank, DuraCell or Super-B. all from East Penn Mfg. and all outstanding. priced right, nice warranty, best terminal quality in the industry, longevity, top quality construction.
    run your tender on a timer as Shaughn mentioned.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEKA-ETX14-...JZwQ4Q&vxp=mtr

Well i just swapped out the 200CCA for a 220CCA this morning and the bike fired to life without hesitation. So fingers crossed that fixes the issue. Thank you very much for the suggestion!

Say NO to Chinese junk.

Is there a predetermined time frame to trickle charge charge these bikes/batteries? Like 4 hours on a timer out of a 24 hr cycle?

****Disregard***** I reread the post. Sorry. Will be doing that from now on with any new battery.

Last edited by Krs1516; 03-28-2018 at 04:46 AM.