Thread: dies at idle

dies at idle

I have a 06 9sx that i am trying to get back on the road. I replaced the fuel pump, battery and fluids to get it running. it started great and ran with a little rpm surge at idle. Not noticeable driving down the road. It did have a little pop through exhaust and airbox every now and then. Since i moved from the mountains where it was last ran to the flatlands of south Texas i performed the TPS reset with ECMSPY and now it will not idle and just backfires thought the exhaust and airbox. When running it above 2 grand it stays running but as soon as i let off the throttle it dies. Before the TPS reset the idle RPM was around 900 and now when it doesn't die it is around 500 for a few seconds then dies. Any thoughts on what might of went wrong or what else I can do to get it back to running condition. Thanks for all the help.

Inactive
    you performed the tps reset incorrectly. that's my thoughts on it. what you described is precisely how a 984 motor reacts to an incorrect tps reset. could walk you thru it but easier just to watch the vid on the below link. and after the proper reset fine tune your warm motor curb idle speed to approx. 1000rpm. the 984 likes that warm idle speed best.
    also makes the task a bit easier and slightly more accurate if you remove the lights fuse, have a battery charger set @ 6 amps attached to battery during procedure, and red run switch must be ON. i'll also add that after-fire out the exhaust and back-firing up into the airbox assembly consistent with bad spark plugs. i'd replace them with NGK DCPR9EIX which is one heat range colder than stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i33__Qkvhn4
    Last edited by user_deleted; 03-24-2018 at 11:41 PM.

Thanks for the info. After I made the original post i went back and looked to see if i screwed something up (which I did). I found that I was looking at the TPS % instead of degrees and that was what did it. I watched the video on resetting it here on this site and it worked wonders. Now I don't have the backfire and pop that was there after I had the dealer set it 3 years ago( before move Texas). I appreciate the plug info as i will be replacing them in a few weeks.

Inactive
    you're quite welcome. when replacing the plugs use a simple 5/8th inch box wrench for the front. on the rear plug i spend the few extra minutes it takes to remove the airbox cover, airbox lid, airbox base-plate. makes accessing rear plug a hell of alot easier plus with that method you can then inspect the top end of the motor for any leaks....lightly lube the TB linkage....check wiring for any signs of chafing or problems....and ALSO closely inspect the plug wires. these bikes are getting older now and i'm seeing the plug wires fail at an alarming rate.