Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hmmm...

Hmmm...

Ok, so after riding around on my XB last night it wasn’t acting the same. Running a bit rough and seemed to vibrate a bit more than normal. I pulled the dipstick and once again the oil level doesn’t register on the dipstick. Luckily a forum member was able make me a longer dipstick so the oil level will register correctly again.

Well, i’m back in the same boat and need another yet longer dipstick to get the oil level to read correctly. I’ve heard the 1125 dipstick has been the go to solution, but Lance at SPHD is out of them.

I’d really like to ride my bike today and would appreciate an immediate response.

Thank you,
    34:19

Banned
    I just tilt motorcycle further more on left side and let it rest on the frame puck to be able to reach oil with stock dipstick.

With the engine running or not?

Banned
    With running engine and engaged clutch on first gear of course. Hold engine at 4000-4500 RPM during this process. You need to revv engine up to build enough oil pressure to squirt it trough the oil return hose right on the dipstick.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 04-01-2018 at 05:25 PM.

Mine is the SS model. I heard this only works on Firebolts? This sounds pretty complex, do you know of any good Buell specific mechanics in the Phoenix area that work at a discount?

Can’t you just make me one on your 3D printer? Pretty please!

What am I missing here? Assuming correct procedure (warm engine, sidestand, screw in dipstick etc) if you don't see oil on the dipstick isn't the solution to add more oil?

Getting a longer dipstick to give you the reading you want would seem to lead you to an oil starved engine? Or does the XB have particular quirks?

Teabag is an ass.
    Don’t listen to that guy
    If you’re not registering an oil level on a stock swing arm, with stock suspension, stock dip stick, stock oil cooler, OEM or equivalent oil filter, with everything else stock, and bike on the side stand.... your oil level is low.
    I’ve NEVER, in the 11 years I’ve owned my XB, had any issues reading an oil level on a warm engine.
    Getting a longer dip stick just makes a low oil level seem normal.
    This is the first I’ve heard of anyone doing this, getting a longer dip stick to read a proper oil level????? Please tell me I’m not the only one.
    Cause this sounds ridiculous

I have a 2008 Ss model as well and check the oil with the engine warmed up, on a flat surface, and on the sidestand. I check the oil level with the engine idling - as I think some kind of drainback valve in the swingarm failed about 25,000 miles ago and a cold check is simply not even possible anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    Teabag is an ass.
    Don’t listen to that guy
    If you’re not registering an oil level on a stock swing arm, with stock suspension, stock dip stick, stock oil cooler, OEM or equivalent oil filter, with everything else stock, and bike on the side stand.... your oil level is low.
    I’ve NEVER, in the 11 years I’ve owned my XB, had any issues reading an oil level on a warm engine.
    Getting a longer dip stick just makes a low oil level seem normal.
    This is the first I’ve heard of anyone doing this, getting a longer dip stick to read a proper oil level????? Please tell me I’m not the only one.
    Cause this sounds ridiculous
    Totally with you on this one. The only instance where I can imagine that your oil dipstick is a problem that in some of these bikes the dipstick warps overtime from Heat and has a curve to it but it would still register on the dipstick no matter what. If your warm bike does not show oil on the dipstick it is low on oil.

if oil is disappearing from your engine it's either burning it leaking it or maybe wet sumping but I have never heard of a a Sportster base engine wet sumping seems to be more of a Harley big twin issue?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast