Thread: Spark plugs fouling?

Spark plugs fouling?

2009 XB12Ss - Drummer SS, EBR ECM, open air box.

Motorcycle is first started and allowed to idle till warm. Begin riding, all is well. After riding till the engine reaches full operating temperature, when the bike is parked and turned off and stands for ~2-5 minutes, if it is not allowed to idle for 30 seconds or more when restarted before rolling out again, the exhaust tone will get a bit coarse and slightly irregular for the first ~1000 feet or so.

I swapped out with OEM spark plugs a few weeks ago, and I noticed the described symptom went away, but has returned again after about ~300 miles of riding.

Should I just let it idle longer every time I start, or should I be thinking about addressing a potentially underlying issue?

What did the plugs look like when you removed them any pics ? Did the pair look the same front Vs rear ? How many miles on motor ?
    Last edited by Silverrider; 04-02-2018 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    What did the plugs look like when you removed them any pics ? Did the pair look the same front Vs rear ? How many miles on motor ?
    About 23k on the motor. Spark plugs were brownish.

I agree, you should be thinking about addressing a potentially underlying issue? Grounds? coils ? etc................................

How often should the coil pack be serviced/changed?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    How often should the coil pack be serviced/changed?
    non-serviceable item. you change it when it goes bad. as per service manual here's ignition system tests:

1. Using Ohm-meter, measure resistance of front/rear plug wires. Resistance should be between 1.4k and 3.3k ohms.

2. Using Ohm-meter, measure resistance of primary and secondary coil windings.

Primary: Measure resistance between the two outer contacts (there's three contacts inside the connector). Resistance should be between 0.5 to 0.7 ohms.

Secondary: Measure resistance between the two plug wire connectors (outputs) on the sides of the coil. Resistance should be between 5.5k to 7.5k.

20180421_130951.jpg

Culprit: Frayed gray wire and adjacent black wire at the bifurcation of the ECM cables bundles. Thanks for your help guys.