Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starter Relay/Battery issue

Starter Relay/Battery issue

Checked around the forums a bit before deciding to post this up, can't say I found anything like this.
    06 Uly won't start, won't even give a *click* from trying to fire up, like it won't engage the starter at all. When I turn the key on, the lights won't even come on, but if I hook up a battery/jump start, it'll work and keep charge, but only for a minute. With the seat off and key on, I get a buzzing sound coming directly from the fuse box, the buzzing stops when I take out the starter relay. If I replace the relay with a new one, the same buzzing occurs. The read I'm getting from my multimeter is less than 12v and dropping (first 10.5, now 9.6). Should I just get a new fuse box, or could this be a short? Is it too difficult to fix the fuse box?
    Last edited by xXTallestXx; 04-04-2018 at 02:45 AM.

First I would get your battery tested to make sure it’s good. Any auto parts store or bike shop should be able to test it for you.
    If the battery tests good(10.5v showing on multi meter I doubt the battery is good) I would next check to insure everything is grounded properly.
    If you’re not burning up fuses, I wouldn’t imagine you have a short somewhere.
    Also, check the voltage at all the fuses. If they are all reading 10.5 or there abouts, the issue is definitely your battery.
    That’s my 2cents

Yes, make sure to clean all the grounds, no matter what they look like !

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    the issue is definitely your battery.
    Thanks for the quick response! If it were the battery, why would the starter have no response when there is power to the battery? If I jump the battery, everything seems to work fine, even ECMdroid says there are no trouble codes. With power, the starter does nothing, and buzzing persists from the fuse box circa starter relay. Also, the battery is new(ish), and shouldn't be bad already.

Why did you even ask for advice?
    Start replacing parts at random and see which happens first; you find the problem, you get frustrated and give up on the bike, or you go broke?

I always start with the simplest and cheapest things to trouble shoot. Costs you nothing but time to pull your battery and get it tested. Then if it’s good, you’ve at least ruled out that possibility and you move on to the next possible culprit.

Starter might not have any response because, from what you indicated, the battery is only providing 10volts to a 12 volt system.

But what do I know......

Inactive
    you're hearing a "buzzing" sound because the relay is struggling with a low voltage situation. your ignition switch contains 2 seperate sets of contacts driving seperate circuits so unlikely the switch or key switch relay at fault either.
    carlos and kenny nailed it. you have a simple low voltage situation specifically at the fuse box. solution:
    1-do NOT use a tender for this purpose........fully charge the battery then have it load tested locally. any auto parts joint does it for free. fully charged is approx. 10 amps for minimum 20 minutes.
    2-locate....remove....inspect....clean....reattach all grounds INCLUDING battery cable ends which must be pristine.
    3-remove your 3 relays and closely inspect the female sockets each one plugs into. any looseness, corrosion or dirt must be attended to or problem will repeat itself.
    lastly....if your "newish" battery is some chinese POS purchased online or at the local CrapMart i can assure you it's the problem. it's probably rated @ 200 CCA's which means in reality it struggles to produce 150. trash it and buy quality.

Chicken and Lunatic FTW!

lunaticfringe,
    Ya know, I'm not sure about the origin of the battery, but I'll give 'er a try. Also, good on ya for explaining certain battery dimensions... wasn't even aware! Any battery brand suggestions?

Last query... should the relay buzz without trying to start the bike? Like as soon as I turn the key on, buzzing occurs. Sorry if these seem like dumb questions, I'm not much of an electrician.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    Why did you even ask for advice?
    Chicknstripn
    Asking for advice doesn't always guarantee that reader always understand the question. Rephrasing the problem doesn't mean I'm not listening, but rather makes sure that we're on the same page; try not to take it personal, Chief

Didn’t take it personal.

I was just stating what happens with 99% of the threads on here. Advice gets questioned, Not followed, and then the individual needing assistance winds up spending far more time and money than what is necessary to repair a simple issue. Stick around for a while and you’ll see what I’m taking about.

I added that bit about the 10 volts on the 12v system to try and help you understand where I was coming from.
    Start with the battery test and go from there.
    If you do find that you need a new battery I would suggest getting one with a minimal 220cca. The Buell electrical system DOES NOT do well with weak batteries. All sorts of weird things happen when the battery in Buell starts going south.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast