Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starter Relay/Battery issue

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by xXTallestXx View Post
    lunaticfringe,
    Ya know, I'm not sure about the origin of the battery, but I'll give 'er a try. Also, good on ya for explaining certain battery dimensions... wasn't even aware! Any battery brand suggestions?

Last query... should the relay buzz without trying to start the bike? Like as soon as I turn the key on, buzzing occurs. Sorry if these seem like dumb questions, I'm not much of an electrician.
    always my pleasure. simply put XB's are hell on batteries. they demand alot of CCA's(cold cranking amps)....the battery should be AGM style.....200 CCA's minimum...and of robust construction. your bike left the factory with a Deka built OEM battery which are outstanding. it is the same battery used by all H-D V-rods from 2008 and up. see link below for my recommendation. Deka.....Big Crank....Super-B....DuraCell.....all from the same factory up the road from me.
    and yes....often times when simply turning on the key switch with an existing low battery voltage situation 1 or more relays will buzz. and if 1 or more gets hot to the touch it is a dirty and/or corroded contact/terminal situation which MUST be addressed.

here ya go. best pricing you'll find.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEKA-ETX14-...item3d4819a651

Big Crank battery !

UPDATE:
    I've purchased a new battery, but I'm still having the same starter issue. No response at all from the starter; no troubleshooting code from the ECMDroid. Question is, is it electrical or mechanical... >.>
    I'm just not sure how likely it would be that the starter dying would shut down the bike mid-ride.

Inactive
    starter relay. see below schematic. click below link and go to first chapter. it describes the start procedure per component. the schematic shows the current flow. the starter button on the right side handlebar switch gear receives it power from the headlight circuit. be sure light fuse is not blown.
    http://www.ukbeg.com/pash/2008%20Bue.../99493-08Y.pdf

683749.jpg

Word. Thanks for the direction, you guys are awesome. I'll let ya know ^_^

Kk, been a bit fooling around with troubleshooting the electronics, but I think I figured it out.
    In the event that the bike doesn't start now, I have to access the fuse box and push down on the ignition fuse so it can make proper contact, then the bike will start. I can't seem to find a fuse box for my model either (ULY 06), and I'm not sure the local Harley dealership will fix it.
    I think this has something to do with a larger issue (bike gets hot, elec starts acting weird), but short of trying to refurbish the entire electrical backbone, I have no idea.

Howdy. Did you ever resolve the issue? I have an 08 Uly and am having the same issue. Turn key on and nothing but a buzz from the key relay. My issue began after 3 weeks sitting. Battery test read 12.97, I checked all grounds, greased and tightened(near battery, Front fork, and under air box). I'm figuring it must be a ground but I cant find it. When I do put a jump starter on it goes through the start up but won't turn over.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckski View Post
    Howdy. Did you ever resolve the issue? I have an 08 Uly and am having the same issue. Turn key on and nothing but a buzz from the key relay. My issue began after 3 weeks sitting. Battery test read 12.97, I checked all grounds, greased and tightened(near battery, Front fork, and under air box). I'm figuring it must be a ground but I cant find it. When I do put a jump starter on it goes through the start up but won't turn over.
    Put a jumper cable on a clean ground spot on the motor and the other on the battery. If it starts, you have a bad ground, if it doesn't its probably the battery. Voltage means nothing if the battery doesnt have the capacity to turn the starter over. An A23 battery is smaller than an "AA" battery but is 12V, that won't turn over the starter either.

Why are you greasing electrical connections? Grease is an insulator, not a conductor.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 04-07-2023 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks for the quick reply! I tested the battery again and its down to 10v. So I'll replace the battery. It takes a charge and shows fully charges on the charger, but apparently can't hold a charge. Its been 2 1/2 years since last replacement. I use electrical lube on the connections to help prevent corrosion. Cheers!

Use roller chain spray lube ( old kind ) instead of grease, use it on the battery terminals also, it has an anti corrosive in it and it conducts electricity. I've been using it forever and I'm older than dirt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast