Thread: Trans sprocket wear

Trans sprocket wear

I've got some cracking on the belt of my '08 XB12Ss, so I bought a new replacement genuine Buell belt. I'm looking at the transmission sprocket and curious whether it's common to replace it when doing a belt replacement or not. It shows a lot more tooth wear than the rear sprocket than I would've expected. My bike is now at 36,000 miles.

DSCN0648.jpgDSCN0649.jpg

Inactive
    I'm looking at the transmission sprocket and curious whether it's common to replace it when doing a belt replacement

no.

It shows a lot more tooth wear than the rear sprocket than I would've expected.
    that's because the rotational ratio is completely different front to rear on the pulleys. divide 27 into 65 and you'll see the numerical rotational difference.

i would however be concerned with the issue inside the yellow circle. how to determine how and why this is happening? simple.

DSCN0649.jpg
    Last edited by user_deleted; 04-04-2018 at 05:15 PM.

Banned
    Because of belt rubs pulley side wall.

If I replace the belt, what sort of refinishing, cleaning, etc. would you perform on the trans sprocket and final drive pulleys? Anything?

Are you concerned with the little fuzzies on the side of the belt? Don't be.

Sometimes I find built up rubber and dirt in the valleys of the pulley and its hard. I use a plastic pick to remove all the gunk. If you have no gunk, no worries.

I'm not concerned about the fuzzies - they've been there since I bought the bike new.

My belt is pretty cracked, must be from all the sun it's seen. I wonder if there's some kind of belt dressing with UV protectant that would help with that.

I just got a SX that has the same cracking on the outer face of the belt too

I thought about chancing it, but a mature mind made me buy a new belt.

There aren't many things that will stop a motorcycle ride faster than a broken belt, and I've never seen one fail inside a garage with a spare right there, and all the tools available, and when you have time to change it, Lol. Think of it as $150 ride insurance

In reference to my first post on this thread, I already have a new belt. However since I live in the hottest, sunniest part of the US I'm sure there's a UV protectant belt dressing that could help slow down belt degradation... I'm just not sure what exactly that is yet.

I agree with ya, sort of. I would think that it would be at least another 10 years from now before cracking becomes an issue again. Were the first 10 years parked outside? If it's inside now or covered, no worries.

The only reason I'd hesitate to put any UV type protectant on the new belt, is because it seems like a non issue from now on. Risk vs. reward. The rubber already has some UV protectants in it, and I would have no idea how it would react to a different (I think unneeded) additive. Would it slip if it gets on the teeth?

If you want to use the unbroken used belt as a spare, once off the bike, apply linseed oil to the flat side let it soak in for awhile then wipe off excess, then let it sit again. Do not put it on or apply it on a painted surface.