Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil on dipstick

Oil on dipstick

It’s almost riding season here in Wisconsin(finally winter is about to give). Before I start riding, I have a question that has bugged me since last year when I changed oil. Whenever I’ve checked the oil, there is usually no oil on the dipstick, and if there is, it’s at the very bottom. I check leaned over, hot, and right after shutoff, or 10 minutes after shutoff, but yet there is no oil. Even after my first ride, right after an oil change following the service manual guide. Any ideas? What gives

Thanks again guys
    Matthew

Banned
    Add 150 ml of oil.

Get a longer dipstick.

Are you sure you are on a level surface? As TPEHAK said, add more oil. How much oil were you putting in? Were you adding and draining to both primary and swing arm?

What do I do when the oil isn't at the right level on the dipstick??

Really!?! That's the best troll ever, and oh9bolt wins the response. One million internet points to you sir.

You obviously didn’t read my entire post. I’m asking why, after following the service guide exactly as it says, does the dipstick not show any oil on it. Is there an issue somewhere with my bike? I know I’m obviously just suppose to add more oil, but is there a reason it’s not reading while following the book.
    Last edited by MTech14; 04-07-2018 at 02:27 AM.

TyMcFly, I’ve checked on two separate surfaces, which both read level. I’ve also changed the primary and swing arm to the exact specifications in the service manual.

Since you are performing the operations exactly as the service manual says... you missed the part where service manual states to add oil if it's not at the correct level on the dip stick.

Do that.

Or just get a longer dipstick

If your bike is on a stand that keeps it level, and you are not seeing oil on the dipstick, you have 1 of 2 issues
    1. Oil is low, and you need to add more
    2. Oil is low and you have a leak

Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast