Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil on dipstick

Quote Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
    If your bike is on a stand that keeps it level, and you are not seeing oil on the dipstick, you have 1 of 2 issues
    1. Oil is low, and you need to add more
    2. Oil is low and you have a leak
    As smart assed as that might come across... it's right. Oil level is really not that precise or complicated. Change it with the recommended amount, check it, and adjust accordingly. (Brushes hands off). Done

Except you don't check it when its leveled. You check it resting on the side stand.

Either way, this guy needs to add little oil until the level is between the marks just like the manual states. Don't shoot for the upper mark, its pointless and dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Except you don't check it when its leveled. You check it resting on the side stand.

Either way, this guy needs to add little oil until the level is between the marks just like the manual states. Don't shoot for the upper mark, its pointless and dangerous.
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by MTech14 View Post
    TyMcFly, I’ve checked on two separate surfaces, which both read level. I’ve also changed the primary and swing arm to the exact specifications in the service manual.
    In that case you may have a leak. It's possible someone put the longer swing arm on the bike before you bought it. Are you the first owner? What model/year. I'm hesitant to just tell you to put more oil in it. As far as i know there aren't any parts in the bottom end or swing arm that can be removed and cause oil capacity to increase (This is the case with certain car engines with a balance shaft that can be removed). If we are talking about the oil being just below the dipstick, then add more oil for sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12