Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drummer SS and BlueThooth delivering Monday - questions

Drummer SS and BlueThooth delivering Monday - questions

OK, I bought a used (actually new-unused) Drummer SS exhaust and BlueTooth device from a member here that has shipped and is due for delivery this Monday. My bike is a 2009 XB12 Lightning SS and from reading back post, the 2008 and up maps are hard to come by. Looked at Buellmods.com and found no post 2008 maps. Does anybody have a map that would work with a 2009 XB 12 Lightning, Drummer SS and K&N filter? Honestly, I'm not a computer wiz-kid so I might need help in the procedures but I have fooled with programming Power Commanders and other programmers over the years with success, but never a nice clean plug the info in and "Bam", all is set without much pain and struggle? Help!!!!!!

No offense Dude, but if you don't know how to do it, or where to find the stuff, or able to search this forum for answers... are you sure you should be doing it at all?

Maybe ask your local V-twin shop or the guy you bought it from for help? I'd guess 40% of this forum is about that subject.

Cooter, not as tech savy as some but have had much dealing with Power Commanders and downloading programs through that format. At this point I have never seen a BuellTooth device (mine will arrive Monday) but I did some searches on this forum and went looking for maps that would fit a 2009 XB12Lightning before I posted this. Somebody on one of the threads I read said that 2008-2010 maps were hard to come by, might have been you, not sure. Anyway, if someone has a map available for XB12, Drummer and K&N that they would like to share I would appreciate it but don't really think I need to resort to a V-Twin shop with all the assistance available on this forum. Just asking for some direction which seems to be in great supply here, Thanks dude ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ZDude View Post
    OK, I bought a used (actually new-unused) Drummer SS exhaust and BlueTooth device from a member here that has shipped and is due for delivery this Monday. My bike is a 2009 XB12 Lightning SS and from reading back post, the 2008 and up maps are hard to come by. Looked at Buellmods.com and found no post 2008 maps. Does anybody have a map that would work with a 2009 XB 12 Lightning, Drummer SS and K&N filter? Honestly, I'm not a computer wiz-kid so I might need help in the procedures but I have fooled with programming Power Commanders and other programmers over the years with success, but never a nice clean plug the info in and "Bam", all is set without much pain and struggle? Help!!!!!!
    I have a BUE2D map for an original Drummer that I adjusted the warm-up idle speeds on that you can try if you want. I'm not sure how different the original is from the SS. You'll want to set up ECMDROID and confirm your ECM version though. The whole process is super easy but I'd be more than willing to walk you through it.

Cooter, are you getting old and starting to lose your patience ? Don't ask me why I know this happens. What about us older riders when, we start to face up to the fact that we have to start learning how to do this stuff, is it going to be, your on your own, you old geezers !

But I do agree, that there is plenty of info on this sight about how to do it and I wouldn't ask for help until I've exhausted searching for the answer. I'm also about to find out because, I'm finally going to take the plunge and order the Bluetooth so I can install my special ops muffler on the SS.

Zdude, if you have done computer stuff before,( power Commander, whatever that is ? ) Your way ahead of me, but Cooter is right about searching for it because I've seen info on here about it. If your only looking for a map, just ask if anyone has a map, like this,

Does anyone have a map for a 07 xb12ss K&N and Special Ops muffler ?

Thank you Neil! I will receive the BuellTooth Monday sometime. I will pm once the pipe is installed and I am ready to tune.

njloco, well, I am getting old, don't know about Cooter but I'll be 65 on May8th. Actually, fooling with motorcycles the past 50 years or so is what keeps me somewhat young. The PowerCommanders is a piggyback fuel & timing module that you program that plugs into a bikes ECM and remains on it to apply the modified map. I had one on a 2008 CBR1000rr with Akropovic full system, a 2013 ZX14r with Akropovic full system, also had a "tuneBoy" module on a 2009 1098 Ducati Streetfighter, on a 2000 ZX12r with a turbo and Nitrous I used a Yoshimura module that was similer to the PowerCommanders except that it had 3 maps you could toggle between on the fly, I used 2 maps that I figured out how to set so that the turbo map was utilized normally untill you pushed the Nitrous button, this bought online a map to handle extra fuel for the 50hp shot if I remember correctly. Needless to say that bike was a true 200mph plus streetbike that was mind boggling. So, yea, I'm an old fart but I have about 50 years fooling with motorcycles starting with a 1973 Z-1 Kawasaki. 3 Buell XBs and 1 buell 1125 are mixed in there, a Harley V-Rod, 1983 GPZ 1100 Kawasaki, a 1984(?) Kawasaki Voyager 1400, a 1998 Ninja ZX9r and , almost forgot a 1965(?) Honda 305 SuperHawk. So far the only ones not modified were the Voyager and the 305 Honda. My skin is thick, I took no offense to Cooter's comment, probably just an old fart like me - LOL!!!! Actually, the CBR sported a Bazzaz tuning system, not PowerCommander but they are similer, guess Dementia might be setting in????

Hey, I said "No offense"! Was that rude? My apologies if it was taken that way.
    I didn't mean to sound mean, just trying to have you avoid the same wormhole that many "not as tech savvy as some" have tried many times before.

IDS.com

'Power Commanders' and the like, are very super simple plug and play piggy back circuits that are easy to install. They either modify the sensor signal inputs (O2, temp sensor) to fake the ECM into putting in more fuel, or in the case of the Buell-specific Dobeck unit, they simply plug in-line with the fuel injectors and extend the pulse width. Rudimentary at best. Although they are getting better, they don't have the fine definition of the actual fuel map in the ECM (yet?).

Messing with the Buell DDFI-3 ECM can be easy, but requires specific actions to be done right. That said, the very first question Zdude is asking is missing vital data:

"Blue tooth device", and "Buelltooth device", require different answers.
    If it is indeed a "Buelltooth" brand blue tooth device, there are specific instructions on Buelltooth.com (in both text and video format) on how to attach, link, and use that device. If you need a map that is not on that site, you can request one but you will need a receipt for the purchase of a Buelltooth to get it. If it's a generic e-bay bluetooth communicator, look up that Mfg. and see what their instructions say and what they offer.
    Since the bluetooth device is simply a wireless connection to the bike, what program is he using to install or manipulate the fuel maps?

Zdude: This is more complicated that plugging in a module, you may need to be more computer savvy than you like. Searching this site will answer the question whether you want to do it yourself or not. You have a great option in IDS.com. They have a plug and play replacement ECM available to you (for less money than the typical Power commander costs), and Tim is a awesome guy

If you want to continue the path of installing your own map you will need:

The bluetooth communicator.
    The tech savvy-ness to connect that to your computer/phone
    The correct fuel map to match your intake/ exhaust options
    The correct program to install the correct type of fuel map format.
    For the correct firmware version of your ECM.

IMHO, I would suggest a Buelltooth brand, bluetooth communicator so you have access to their info. Their maps are in the correct format to be installed with ECMDroid.

ECMDroid is a program that is simpler than ECMSpy or TunerPro and can install existing fuel maps, and is also an awesome diagnostic tool. It is on Googleplay for free and needs an android device to run.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Thanks ZDude, and Cooter,

O.k., although I don't have the Buelltooth Bluetooth yet, I did some searching, from what I gathered, the Spec ops muffler can be used on a stock ecm'd 07 12SS bike but is much better with a Buell race map. If I also install the K& N, I MUST either put a different ECM with a race map or reflash my ECM (naturally after making a copy of the stock map and storing it). Buelltooth Bluetooth ECMdroid can accomplish all of this, if they have a program for that spec ops muffler.

From what I've gathered, the above set up would also let me change things around, like if I didn't like the muffler for whatever reason. I also have a very computer savvy neighbor that is willing to help me out, which in my case is a very good thing.

Oh yeah, either case a TPS reset has to be done, which needs either a test light or a Bluetooth for 07 and prior XB bikes.
    Last edited by njloco; 04-08-2018 at 12:29 AM.

When I said bluetooth above that was a mistake in typing, he has said it is a "BuellTooth" device and before i ever started this thread I had already went onto Buelltooth and read their tutorials but I have to have the device so that I know the ID numbers to request a map. My understanding is the unit I'm recieving has never been used as is the Drummer SS. Now I did not purchase it myself, so I don't know if they will honor that or not, I'll have to cross that bridge when I have it in hand. I'm not super savvy with computers but I'm not without some experiance programming. PowerCommanders that I have fooled with need either you download a map from somebody who had similer modifications and load it into your unit, I have never just plugged one in and away we went to perfect fuel/air ratios across the board, many times you loaded different maps or manipulated the map onboard and they always required TPS reset. The Bazzaz unit I installed was a closed loop learning device, so many different units to program the fuel and timing I don't even remember how they all worked now but I do know they are waaaay better than pulling carbs off to rejet as many of my bikes did. My 06 Uly was my 1st Buell and I sent Kevin my pipe , bought a racing ECM and that was really spot on right away, but I like the idea of being able to check functions and change things myself so the best way to learn is do it yourself. Anyway Cooter, I appreciate your input and I'm sure with some direction from people here I can avoid having a bike shop do it for me. When I request help here it is nothing but being respectfull of those who have knowledge I would like to tap into. Been using these boards like this since I started on "LABusa" in 1999 to "Bad Weather" in 2006 with my 1st Ulyssys, "Bikeland", a Ducati forum and a V-Rod forum. Back around 2000, the LABusa forum was very popular to Hyabusa and ZX12 riders, my post back then were in the thousands so I understand the hierarchy around the boards and how some "new" members can drive older regulars crazy with repeat questions, that is why I try to use the search functions but sometimes that just isn't enough or it doesn't exactly answer what your looking for. I have searched the archives for the answer to the question "Does the undertray / battery mount on a Lightning SS have to be changed when you do the Uly tail swap to a Lightning?" and can't find the answer anywhere including in the original thread I started on the modification, so it's not always possible to find answers easily.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast