Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member, Buelltooth and ecmdroid

New member, Buelltooth and ecmdroid

Hi, I have an 04 xb12s that I have owned from new. It has about 28000 miles on it. I have a K&N air filter, snorkel removed, 4 inch hole cut in side the airbox and an HP Corse exhaust. It has always popped and banged and taken a good while to warm up. I suspected an intake seal leak and bought a couple of new ones. I then bought a Buelltooth and downloaded ecmdroid to check the AFV. It was 111.9 which wasn't that far out. I decided to burn the drummer ss map which I got from Buelltooth and reset the TPS and see if that made a difference. My ecu is a BUEGB one and is not the race ecu, just the stock one. I took the bike for a run, no spitbacks, coughs or pops on deceleration, seems to run much better. The AFV stayed on 100 which is a good thing, I think. The only thing that is a bit different is when I blip the throttle the revs do not drop as quickly as before, not noticeable when riding though. I think the Buelltooth and ecmdroid is a brilliant bit of kit for what it is, I neither have the knowledge or skill to use ecmspy and alter maps, the drummer ss map seems to be fine.

There is a 'decel fuel cut' in the ECM parameters. Check that box and see of it helps.

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

There is no difference between a stock ECM and a "Race" ECM other than the file stored in it. Both can be changed via ECMSpy or ECMDroid.

I also have the race map to try but so far the drummer ss map seems to be working well. I will test for intake leaks as I have got new seals ready but if the bike behaves itself and the AFV stays the same I probably wont bother.

Took the bike out again and the tickover hung around 2000 for quite a while before dropping to 1100 and then was up and down. I decided to do the intake seals. The seals looked absolutely fine but I put new ones on. Can they be re-used? The throttle body was quite dirty so I gave that a good clean and did the breather re-route mod to stop more oil in the future. There was a small amount of coke build up in the inlet tracts, more so on the front. I changed the plugs to the iridium ones, the old ones were quite sooty round the edges, yet the electrodes were quite a light colour, the front being a bit lighter. I re-set the tps and started the bike. Started straight away and the tickover wasnt too bad so I took it for a run. No change, tickover still hanging high and then returns to a lumpy tickover that sounds like it will die and then spped up to 1200 and then drp again. AFV value had increased to 105. I then re-installed the stock map instead of the drummer ss one, reset the TPS and Afv and started the bike again. This time the revs drop normally to tickover but is still up and down. The revs pick up ok but it pops again out of the exhaust on the overrun. I then increased the AFV to 110 and started the bike again, it seemed to tickover a bit better but still hunts and almost dies. I have reset the AFV back to 100 and the TPS is on 5.8. I shall give it a run and see if it improves but I am thinking maybe I didnt do the seals right and one or both are still leaking. I also capped the little brass outlet on the throttle body which is for the evap system, mine had always been open which isn't good so it's now capped. If it is still not right after checking the seals and or replacing them then it must be fuel or spark problems but I am unsure of how to accurately test these, as I say it revs well just doesnt tickover right. I have thoughts that maybe it is so coked up in the cylinders it is causing problems but think, hope that is not the case as it had always run great, or maybe a valve isnt seating right, a compression test would tell the state of the valves and bores but at 28000 miles I wouldn't think it could be that. Any help in this issue would be greatly appreciated as I am getting frustrated now!

You are changing things much too quickly. Set the ECM to the way thats closest to the way you like it to run, and don't touch it for 200 miles. I don't think it's a fuel program issue anyway, and you never answered if you checked decel fuel cut in that wall of text.

You can test the intake seals easily without taking anything apart, spray carb cleaner around them closely at idle and look for a change, or You tube it.

Does the throttle return normally? Are the cables simply mis-adjusted?

Hi yes I did try thr fuel cut on thr drummer map but I am now back on stock map and haven't done the fuel cut. O took the bike for a half hour run yestrrday. Started immediately but the tickover was popping, spitiing back and uneven. I let it warm up and then went for a ride. At first it was popping, banging and running really rough but by the time I got home it was running much better but the tickover was at 2000, I reduced it to about 1100 and it wasn't too bad, up and down just a little bit. I checked the AFV and it was 108 and yhe TPS was 5.1. I shall give it another good run and see how it is. I have a feeling that, as long as it isn't the intake seals ( I shall retest with some carb cleaner as you say) I think it may be down to the rocker cover breathers blowing oil and condensate into the throttle body and it has coked up a bit, now I have re-routed them I am hoping it will gradually clear. The breather pipe, which now exits down by the left footpeg seems to just have a slight condensate wetness, no dripping or anything.

Quick update. I think my bike is alive! I tried the Buell XB race map and thr tickover wasn't right after a good couple of hundred miles so I reinstalled the original stock map (brain!), reset TPS, new HT leads and set the AFV to 111.9 which is what it was when I first checked. I have done a couple of hundred miles and the bike is running really well, only spits back and exhaust pops occasionally when I restart the bike when it is warm. I jave checked the AFV and it is now 106.5 which seems good. Tickover nice, revs drop nicely. I shall run some redex through it to help clear it out but I am feeling much happier with the bike now!

Very good !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast