Thread: Whining noise

Whining noise

Lately my 2006 Uly has developed a whine. There is no whine while stopping. The whine matches wheel rotation regardless of gear. But as happened before, the whine was there as I rode out about 10 miles to an appointment. The whine was silent as I rode back 2 hours later. Any ideas? I have recently done a drive belt change, but the whine was there before and still is just like before. This bike has not been used for wheelies, etc. I should add that I have had the bearings replaced front and rear, and that also made no difference.

Are you confident that the bearings were replaced CORRECTLY? If the axles are overtorqued, the bearing spacer tube can deform, which could cause side-loading of the bearings.

Inactive
    some of the 12's naturally emit a whining noise...never had a 9 that does it. check your primary drive chain adjustment and fluid level.

I just want to clarify that the whine was there before the wheel bearings were replaced, and it is still there afterwards.

I will check into the fluid level and chain adjustment--that may be it.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by SVUly View Post
    I will check into the fluid level and chain adjustment--that may be it.
    yes sir do that. and for what it's worth a hell of alot of tires start to "whine" as they age. simple test to tell if that's your situation is to ride down a straight smooth quiet section of road until you hear the ruckus. then while maintaining that precise speed just gently swerve from side to side within the lane and see if the noise comes and goes. if so it's your tires.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 04-16-2018 at 01:17 PM.

I changed the transmission oil, and it seems to be ok now.