Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ulyssys Seat and tail on Lightning SS questions

Ulyssys Seat and tail on Lightning SS questions

I have a 2009 XB12 Lightning SS that I am attempting to convert to a Ulyssys seat and tail. I have seen on some post that the Lightning SS side rails are the same part as a Ulyssys, they are not. Does part of the Ulyssys Tail assembly need to be modified or cut off. Just doesn't even look like it will fit without serious mods. Help - anyone actually done this?

The seat rails aren't the same part, but they are interchangeable. The only difference is the holes in the sides of the rear for the panniers.

What do you mean by "tail assembly" if you don't mean that? What exactly are you trying to do?? And why bother putting a Uly seat on an Ss?

To answer you question "Why put a Uly seat on a SS" ? I had a Uly and could ride it all day in comfort, the seat worked great for me, I just didn't like the height of the Uly and really like the lightning stance better. That said, I loved the Uly's adjustable backrest too and even like the looks of Lightnings set up like this - call me weird but It appeals to me. I have the complete Uly Tail and plastic rear fender assembly, no Uly side rails, but I have a brand new Uly low seat too. I have looked on the Twin Site of "Torque Hammer" and looked closely at the side rails of the 2 bikes, their part #'s are very close but not exactly the same. It looks like quite a bit of cutting will be required of the "front" of the Uly tail assembly to allow it to fit with the SS rails. I do have the entire rear of my bike stripped down to just the SS rails and am looking for advice from someone who has done this or has seen it done and how it was done. Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated Cooter and thank you for directing me to the "Twin" site!

Has anyone ever did this ?

Either way, it will be interesting to see once done.

I think the below picture looks pretty good and, very different or should I say unique.
    Last edited by njloco; 04-15-2018 at 01:26 AM.

I see now. You are asking if the Ss rails fit a Uly tail. I don't know, but I would guess so?

You could ask in the Uly section of this, or better yet Badweatherbikers.com has a bunch more Uly riders and are all old school Buell lovers there.

Rails are the same as cooter said other than the 2 holes drilled in each side.

Screenshot_20180414-141349_Chrome.jpg
    Last edited by oh9bolt; 04-14-2018 at 08:20 PM.

I think I see how this will work now. It will be somewhat cobbled together looking, not factory, when the seat is off but with seat installed you will not see the "attachment" of the Uly tail to the SS rails. The Uly tail will be on the outside of the rail and will require the SS rails to have two holes completed through the rails, this of course will have to be done carefully so that the tail is inline perfectly with the rails. Much to do including the drilling and painting or powdercoating the tail. Once all is finished, I will try to put some detailed pictures on here so that someone else will have a look at exactly how it is done.

buell seat .jpg

Old Thread but relevant.. My bike on the right has a great Seat comfortable and can ride all day without getting a sore butt,, but i want to be able to interchange the seats from what i have to a Solo .. like the pic on the left .. is this as simple as a seat change or do i have to change the back supports etc

Cheers for any info

All XBS are interchangeable. Pop one off, pop the other one on.

The long frame bikes like the Ss, STT, and Uly seats won't work on an S.

So mine being the SS long , i can get any seat from the STT and Uly and will fit . Do they come with an option Solo Seat ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast