Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Temp Guard.

Engine Temp Guard.

Basic question guys, I've just installed a Engine temperature guard alarm on the XB12SS & was wondering what maximum engine temp i should set it to? So far I've seen her creep up to 110 while checking tire pressure but she runs around 68 on highway speeds. What's too hot? So i can set the alarm. Sure you will know Cooter😉
    Thanks again.

Inactive
    110 what? celsius? fahrenheit? oil temp? turkey thermometer near the front cylinder? what?

469 degrees fahrenheit head temp within a 1 inch circumference on the head surface at the rear exhaust port considered the approx. maximum temp XB's can live at.
    but i'm lacking in basic intelligence plus i don't know all that much about buells so you should probably wait for cooter to advise.

Banned
    Set it to 215 Fahrenheit, this is the temperature when fan starts working.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 04-09-2018 at 10:30 PM.

Sorry Mick, I don't even know what a temp alarm is or why it would be anywhere near an air cooled engine?

Lunatic is right, and the bike sees that temp from it's own temp sensor in the top of the head. Thats where it gets the info to turn the fan off/on and even retard timing and rpm limit as a safety if she gets too hot. Your check engine light (CEL) will illuminate if its having an issue.

If this is some sort of aftermarket thing, I'd toss it. Or put it on a water-cooled something. Air cooled engines run a drastically wider temp range and the Buell has all the safeties in place already so not to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    110 what? celsius? fahrenheit? oil temp? turkey thermometer near the front cylinder? what?

469 degrees fahrenheit head temp within a 1 inch circumference on the head surface at the rear exhaust port considered the approx. maximum temp XB's can live at.
    but i'm lacking in basic intelligence plus i don't know all that much about buells so you should probably wait for cooter to advise.
    you said 69 hehe

Yeah, if the motor got up to 450*F you'd know it in your pant leg first!

I suppose i asked for it with that vague descriptive post, thanks anyway Lunatic for your sarcasm lol. I wanted a led numerical readout that catches the eye, as the engine temp light is so small & could be easily missed before its all too late. I just put a sensor under a head cover bolt on the back cylinder. Thought the more checks you have on heat with air cooled motors the better, especially here in Australia. Anyway each to their own. Appreciate the feedback anyway.

Is the land of Oz hotter than southern Arizona? Probably about the same, just offset by season due to position relative to the equator. My Buell runs pretty good in sub-50*C heat, I wouldn't worry about it. The ECM is programmed to enable cooling fans, pull timing out, and adjust fueling as engine and intake air temperatures get too hot. Even 50*C hot air is still relatively cold enough to provide cooling effect to the air-cooled V-twin that typically runs at 160-180*C.

I'd be chillin in the AC with a beer and a cigar ! Wait until nighttime to go riding.

Inactive
    I suppose i asked for it with that vague descriptive post, thanks anyway Lunatic for your sarcasm lol.

always my pleasure mick. in all seriousness i commend you for having consideration of the tortuous effects excessive heat has on XB motors. the single best 5 things you can do for any XB that's going to be exposed to constant temps of 90 degrees fahrenheit and beyond for extended periods of time...and i'm talking weeks and months....is this:
    1-purchase and install the RSS factory intake setup. still available and about $65 US retail.
    2-run top quality automotive or cycle 20wt-50 synthetic oil in the motor ONLY.
    3-fan maintenance! that it's tight to the frame....that the blades rotate freely...that there's no wobble in the fan shaft causing it to make excessive noise from faulty internal bearings....that the ecm is operating it under the proper temp parameters.
    4-custom mapping/tune for your ecm. traditionally more fuel equals cooler running temps.
    5- AVOID stop-and-go traffic situations at all costs. keep moving!

Last edited by user_deleted; 04-11-2018 at 12:07 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast