Thread: Voltage Gauge in dash DIY video

Voltage Gauge in dash DIY video

Special thanks to neilrl79 for his informative DIY on the voltage gauge installation in dash. I decided to do a DIY video based on it for people who are more visual learners, with some variation for my particular installation.

Any mod able to move this thread to the DIY section?

Good video,

I'm a little puzzled though, you asked for the green gauge after me, and I was asked by neilrl79 to PM him my address to send it too, so how did you end up with the green one and what happened to the white one ? No big deal just puzzled.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Good video,

I'm a little puzzled though, you asked for the green gauge after me, and I was asked by neilrl79 to PM him my address to send it too, so how did you end up with the green one and what happened to the white one ? No big deal just puzzled.
    I'm pretty sure I gave them out in the order I received the PM s, it is possible that I made a mistake though. I cleared out my inbox recently so can't go back and check.

Unsure. I just sent him a PM and he got back to me. I didn’t know you were in line to get it.

Just want to vouch for the value of this nice little mod.

After I installed mine, the display would jump randomly from 11-15V though the bike was riding fine and battery appeared OK. I've never had a voltage indicator before on a bike, so wasn't sure what sense to make of it. I just chalked it up to cheap eBay electronics or a bad soldering job on my part.

Fast forward 6 months, and the voltage dropped to 5V at which point the bike died. Even jump starting it wouldn't allow the bike to run for more than one block. Turns out the voltage regulator had fried.

Got a new one, and now that dash display is at a steady 13.5V when cruising. Long story short - add this feature to your bike so you don't get stranded on the side of the road like I was.

The length of time it sometimes takes for the VR to finally hit the ****ter is really amazing. I've had my Ully for years now and though everything showed good on the multimeter, I noticed that the battery was taking longer and longer to charge until one day it showed no charge, checked the VR and it was dead, installed a new one and now it charges in no time on the trickle charger.

Thank you for amazing work putting this DIY together for us. This is going on my 04XB12 Hammer Build.