Thread: Warn the old guy, please !

Warn the old guy, please !

O.k., the Special Ops muffler is on the SS, what nightmare though. Slipped the stock one off easy enough but putting the Spec ops muffler onto the end of the exhaust down pipe was really tough, had to enlist the help of 6 foot breaker bar and various sizes of wood , I'm not totally sure it's all the way on, I'll check everything out tomorrow when I double check all the muffler clamps are situated correctly before I torque it all down. I had to apply high temp grease to both male and female ends and even then it was tough going.

So the question, is there an easier way or is that it ?

Thanks

Banned
    You have to hold the muffler tube parallel to the headers tube and do some rocking and twisting motions during attaching the muffler to the header and pushing the muffler toward the headers.

Kenny how come you didn't give that thing a little love with el cheapo pipe expander from horrible freight? Like a half a turn with a ratchet and you would've been g2g.

Twist turn push. A bit of sandpaper to the inside of the muffler inlet to smooth out any burs. It's a fight, but be careful with pry tools. You don't want to put too much force on that header

Excellent suggestions from Bagger & Chop, when you force stuff, stuff brakes if not now, but later down the road like exhaust studs.

Well, I thought about the pressure on the header, and now, what it is it is. Seemed like a simple enough job, take one off put one on. I'll have to check the header now too because if it's still good, then it can take a lot.

Wally, I just didn't think of it, once I got into the job it was too late but, I'll have one on hand next time !

Buelly, I just checked the headers, they don't seem to be damaged at all, do you think I should retorque the header bolts ?

Bad weather here today, 40°F lower temps, very windy with high humidity, almost like rain, crazy weather, 80F yesterday, 40 today.

I'll let you guys know how it goes though, I might not get to work on it until next weekend.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Well, I thought about the pressure on the header, and now, what it is it is. Seemed like a simple enough job, take one off put one on. I'll have to check the header now too because if it's still good, then it can take a lot.

Wally, I just didn't think of it, once I got into the job it was too late but, I'll have one on hand next time !

Buelly, I just checked the headers, they don't seem to be damaged at all, do you think I should retorque the header bolts ?

Bad weather here today, 40°F lower temps, very windy with high humidity, almost like rain, crazy weather, 80F yesterday, 40 today.

I'll let you guys know how it goes though, I might not get to work on it until next weekend.

Thanks.

No on the retorque the header bolts ? Worse case is you could snap one.Dont use a 6 ft breaker bar . Please.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 04-15-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Tpehak, that method would only work for the beginning and it did.

Buelly, I just checked the headers, they don't seem to be damaged at all, do you think I should retorque the header bolts ? My method though crude did work, the trick was to keep it level front to back, it then went on pretty good, I just have to double check it, if it is bottomed up to the aluminum frames.

Thanks

P.S. O.K. no on the retorque
    Last edited by njloco; 04-15-2018 at 05:01 PM.

Silver is right don't mess with the header bolts. If all looks good visually. You'll just have to do a short ride and check er over. You're probably fine