Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is an 1190 SX upgrade from 2008 XB9SX a good choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Unless the title is branded "not actual mileage" I wouldn't be concerned at all.

It is a good bargaining point to buy it from the dealer cheaper though! Maybe negotiate a service agreement?
    Too bad you don't have cash for the upgrade, and be able to get one from a private party. You would save so much $$...
    Yep that was my thoughts about bargaining too. True, I am not the wisest about motorcycle purchases, but then when is it truly ever wise anyway? Haha

I've had 3 major surgeries in 4 years (which got me this interest), lost 3 friends in 2 years and last friend died suddenly of a heart attack (he rode a tricked out HD 48, R6 before that and still rode a motocross bike). I think I'm gonna just go for the gusto on this bike thing if I can manage it; cannot take it with me anyway, but damn I will enjoy it now. Maybe it'll go to my son someday and he will enjoy it too, or make some $ from selling it when I'm gone.

Thanks again for all the feedback and advice gentleman. I'll certainly let you know how it goes and post pics if I make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CRSole View Post
    So i have a question about 2014 1190sx I'm dealing on. Got this explanation:

"I meant to say that the dash has been updated and we replaced the ECU on the bike, making the miles say zero (sorry for that). There are 854 true miles on the bike, and it shows 854 miles on the title...."

Should this concern me? It kinda does a but they said they had like 15 EBR bikes, this is the last one left and this was the bike they took to shows. Seems like something hinky with every situation. However they did say that this bike has never been privately owned and still shows LAP as the owner, the liquidator that took over EBR.
    Bull****. If the ecm was left in the bike and dash updated, it would have re-paired with the ecm when installed back on the bike and power applied.

If the dash was updated, it will come back as blank or zero miles, so the only way they'd have gotten around that is to replace the ecm as well. Wouldn't matter if it's a stock or race ecm, as long as it was "brand new" out of a box, that's the ONLY way the dash could possibly show zero miles. I had that option on the last RX I rebuilt. Turned out it only had 16xx miles on it, way less than was thought. Had to completely replace the dash and repair the wire harness to bring that one back from the dead, along with a lot of other stuff.

Dealer in question does not know enough about that bike to be considered reliable for information.

or this

o.k. so it has 854 true miles on it, that makes it a used bike, doesn't matter that it's never been titled. What would he be saying if it had 3000 miles on it. My 07 SS had 617 miles on it when i bought it from the original owner, does that make it a new bike ? In reality the bike s like new condition but it's still not considered new anymore.

P.S. I think your nuts getting an EBR, go and play with the XB for a year or two first, EBR will still be available because the motorcycle riding public are too ignorant to know what they are, EBR going under is proof of that.
    Last edited by njloco; 04-19-2018 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by d_adams View Post
    Bull****. If the ecm was left in the bike and dash updated, it would have re-paired with the ecm when installed back on the bike and power applied.

If the dash was updated, it will come back as blank or zero miles, so the only way they'd have gotten around that is to replace the ecm as well. Wouldn't matter if it's a stock or race ecm, as long as it was "brand new" out of a box, that's the ONLY way the dash could possibly show zero miles. I had that option on the last RX I rebuilt. Turned out it only had 16xx miles on it, way less than was thought. Had to completely replace the dash and repair the wire harness to bring that one back from the dead, along with a lot of other stuff.

Dealer in question does not know enough about that bike to be considered reliable for information.
    So you are thinking they replaced dash and ECU to intentionally 0 out the miles or cover up actual mileage?

I am still awaiting an answer on why the ECU replacement. The salesman didn't know but said he'd find out. My experience has been that dealers rarely know much about a bike, car truck or whatever, beyond the sales brochure. They never seem to know anything technical. I'm sure a service tech. that did the work knows something if still there. We'll see. Maybe they'll surprise me.

Inactive
    OMG would you just buy something already! this thread has "tire kicker" written all over it. reads more like the dribble and diatribe typically found on facebook and all other utterly worthless social networking sites. .
    Last edited by user_deleted; 04-19-2018 at 12:53 PM.

Agreed. Buy the EBR . If you have the cash get on with it . Man up.

BOOM goes the dynamite. I think I'll buy an ebr too lol

No wait, maybe not

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    OMG would you just buy something already! this thread has "tire kicker" written all over it. reads more like the dribble and diatribe typically found on facebook and all other utterly worthless social networking sites. .
    I knew someone would make me laugh this morning!!! Lol!!!!

Just so that my comment is clear - I wasn't saying to not get the bike. Rather, you better be getting a hell of a deal on a used bike that legally SHOULD have the title branded 'Not Actual Miles'. Both of these factors (primarily the title) should give you significant power in haggling on the bike.

If they don't want to move on price, let the nice salesman know that you've got the vin number and written communications that the ODO miles aren't actual......if they sell it later without correctly labeling the title they can get a $100,000 fine. That would be a pretty good motivator to get that bike off the lot for most dealers!

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast