Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is an 1190 SX upgrade from 2008 XB9SX a good choice?

Is an 1190 SX upgrade from 2008 XB9SX a good choice?

I only got my 2008 Buell XB9SX CityX a couple of months ago and I love the bike (I've been eyeing up these XB bikes for about 2 years). In my research I find that the EBR bikes would be a logical upgrade from the XB. However with more reading I find that EBR bikes are very rare as they weren't produced as long so I am considering trading my XB for one. Is this wise? The EBR 1190SX I am considering looks to have been dropped once but not while moving and it has about 9K miles. I have to drive a few hundred miles to test drive and it will have to wait a few days for some snow to melt. My XB just rolled 10K miles and is fairly clean but has carbon fiber over the fuel frame pieces so I have no way to know if it was dropped or crashed before me but it doesn't appear so. I've ridden it about 500 miles since I purchased and I just love the bike with its cool streetfighter looks, v-twin torque and racecar sounds but it does pop quite a bit on decel with the jardine exhaust and I do sometimes wish it had just a bit more power and get-up-and go on acceleration (Not that I want to go 100mph but I do wish the XB was quicker on acceleration). My payments for the EBR will about double and my insurance will go up quite a bit into a monthly payment rather than a once per year payment. I'm just having a difficult time deciding if this is a good decision to trade or not. My thoughts are to get the EBR now and get another XB later since they are more plentiful. I mostly just ride about 7 or 8 miles to and from work and do fun under 50 mile rides as much as possible. I can do my own oil changes, pipes, intakes and basic tuning but I wouldn't call myself a very good mechanic. What do you guys think about this trade? What should I look for? Are there big maintenance things I need to be aware of for an EBR? (because my XB is cake). Probably dumb to ask this stuff in an EBR area so maybe I'll post in an XB area as well but I'm hoping to make a more informed decision. Thanks!

Hands down EBR !!! , Go test ride it and it will be a No Brainer !!!! Show us a pic and the price! I have had a few XB9s and a few XB12s and many other super bikes and I love my EBR. Just my thoughts.

mad max_011 by Jack Joseph, on Flickr

I also have both and they are completely different bikes. The question is much more about you the rider, and not the bike. You are doubling your horsepower. It is comparing a fast hatchback to a Bugatti Veyron. No kidding. You want 100mph? Thats second gear. And under 5 seconds:
    https://www.erikbuellracing.com/1190blacklightning

As far as parts and service. It's easy and the same question has been asked by everyone looking at one. EBR is still a company and will support you, they just don't make bikes anymore. Every maintenance part is available aftermarket and not an EBR proprietary part (except maybe the front chain sprocket and thats changing). Lots of parts around and at the dealers too. Valve adjust at 6K miles needs an engine rotate so do it yourself or find a good V-twin shop, theres nothing crazy going on in there that a competent mechanic can't do.

If you enjoy laughing, crying, and pooping yourself at the same time, get the 1190. It will do that for you

Thanks! Wow, nice bike Silverrider! They will only give me $2500 for my XB and they want under $8K for the EBR. I am a 3-event barefoot waterskier so yeah, I do like speed and the adrenaline rush of power and speed. I find that I mostly like the acceleration; I'm not really fond of going 100MPH. I was just really fascinated with Eric Buell's story, engineering and the XB9SX. Research shows that it really looks like finding an EBR is going to be more and more difficult, maybe impossible soon--am I way off on that? The timing is just bad because I just bought the XB. It'd be better to wait a year...but my thoughts are it'll be too late. XB's seem more plentiful.

Attachment 9574
    DSCN9748.jpg
    DSCN9747.jpg
    DSCN9744.jpg
    DSCN9742.jpg

Here's some pictures of it. Price seems low but I'm guessing the drop is why. There is $100 plastic part, left side plastic fairing, that needs replacement I guess (can see on some of the photos). No idea on whether all maintenance has been completed. Dealers never seem to know that stuff on used bikes despite being asked the questions.

Silverrider, what exhaust is that on your black bike? Is it expensive? (dumb question) I like how it's underneath like on the XB rather than up the side. Really love the blacked out looks--is there really a better color for a bike?

Ah I also see the EBR is chain drive. That means a bit more maintenance but I have to do that on my dual sport bikes already. I suspect with all that power though that the chain needs to be checked and possibly changed every so often?

Good stuff! Thank you. Does under $8k seem low for a 2015 ebr 1190sx with 9k miles? I think kbb books them at like $10,555.

^^^^^^ 8 grand w 9000 miles seems way high to me. Weren't they selling EBR's new for that price a little while ago????

Quote Originally Posted by wickedchop View Post
    ^^^^^^ 8 grand w 9000 miles seems way high to me. Weren't they selling EBR's new for that price a little while ago????
    Not according to book value of $10,555, of course there's nothing about adjustment for mileage:

https://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/ebr/...icetype=retail

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast