Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Is an 1190 SX upgrade from 2008 XB9SX a good choice?

Banned
    Quick answer is no, it is not good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    OMG would you just buy something already! this thread has "tire kicker" written all over it. reads more like the dribble and diatribe typically found on facebook and all other utterly worthless social networking sites. .
    You know what they say about opinions? Haha

With all due respect, don't read or respond if you don't like it. I have gotten lots of great information from posting here. "Tire kicker?" Um no. I just bought a Buell XB in February, a low rider s last May, 3 dual sport bikes prior to that and an Iron 883 in 2016. I am an engineer and I would like to make an informed choice so I asked the other experts and owners here. The timing of this is bad for me but I learned the EBR's are rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    What the dealer should do is send the Dash to EBR and have the correct miles installed. Then sell it as a Demo bike.
    I agree, because they did tell me it was a demo bike. It seems like most new motorcycles at dealerships are basically demo bikes though. Anyone with a license who says they're serious about buying a bike can come in and basically test ride the crap out of it, and then not buy. I know when I test ride a brand new motorcycle I go easy on it, especially if it hasn't been broken in, but I cannot imagine that most riders take care with a new motorcycle. I did get on the throttle a little bit with the Low Rider S I test rode a year ago, but I didn't feel I abused it at all. Perhaps this is just my limited experiences at only 3 cycle dealerships though...or maybe I just emanate a trustworthy demeanor? Haha no I don't think so.

Not sure what being an engineer has to do with buying a bike but.... do you really need your hand held to make a decision. T-bag is an engineer too. I rec you PM him.

Banned
    As an engineer I pay attention to reliability of the product. I did some investigation and found the EBR1190 has some reliability issues. They did not have enough time to refine the product. Buell XB has been produced for longer period of time and Buell had chance to fix some bugs on later XB models.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    Not sure what being an engineer has to do with buying a bike but.... do you really need your hand held to make a decision. T-bag is an engineer too. I rec you PM him.
    This is turning into a teenage-girl-like banter with the negative comments stuff...

An engineer tends to look into things more than most people because we build things and want to know more about how things work. I don't know much about EBR bikes so I came here to learn more to make an informed decision like I said and get a feel for how some other owners have dealt with issues they find. Honestly though, almost anyone who cares about what they are buying might do the same.

I never asked for hand holding and not sure why you would say that. I asked legitimate questions about a motorcycle; not for you to go to the dealer with me. Reasonable questions that came up (not asking now, just reiterating why this can be helpful): How does an EBR compare to an XB? What are some known issues? What does the maintenance look like? Is 9K miles on an EBR high and what issues have people run into? How can and why would mileage be reset on a bike and why might someone replace the display and ECU?

Perhaps I should have just compiled a list of questions and put into one post? I guess I was thinking members liked talking about something they liked so I posted things more informally to initiate dialog to get to know others, maybe see some other cool bikes and how owners customized them.

Even if I don't buy an EBR, isn't this dialog about technical stuff fun for other owners and useful for other potential buyers in the future? Maybe I am in the wrong crowd? Maybe you don't want new people in your group? I never seem to fit in with most groups of people; I think that's another typical engineer trait.

Tpehak what your degree in? And I am not an engineer and I look for the same things in a machine. I don’t wrench on bikes for a living but I do wrench on cnc equipment all day. I would have to disagree with your statement on reliability. Yes not perfect but unreliable is not the word.. once again Any 180ish horse v twin will have certain issues. These bikes are running 13.4:1 compression with 60+ degrees timing!!!! As your engineer degree should tell you that is almost pro stock type numbers.. they get one pass per rebuild..

Start comparing apples to Apple.. not ebr to xb

Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    maybe you should skip the ebr. it sounds to me like this would be more your style
    Attachment 9601
    Is that yours? Not into baggers at all man but that is a cool looking bike, ya know maybe if I was. Kinda looks like one of those big wheel trikes I rode when I was 5 haha. To each his/her own.

I think maybe I don't really fit into any motorcycle "style"? I am a barefoot waterskier who had to find other adrenaline-filled activities due to injuries. I started with an HD because I've always wanted one (ever since seeing Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man), but I quickly found I wanted something faster that could lean more than an Iron and I was fascinated with Eric Buell's story.

That’s true. Most engineers live on planet aspergers, but some don’t FWIW, I wouldn’t have guessed you were an engineer, not that it matters

If you do your research by asking (the same questions we’ve heard repeatedly) instead of doing your research by reading will need to be able to take some ribbing. Nothing serious, but 8 pages!?!

Most of us Buellers are self-sufficient and are hands on as well. Consider it a right of passage.

You’ll learn about TPEHAK

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast