Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is an 1190 SX upgrade from 2008 XB9SX a good choice?

^^^^^^^ told ya!

Um there were upgrades in 2015. One year newer will cost more regardless. Book value is $10,555. Sure a rare deal off craigslist comes along but i haven't seen any that low.

Upgrades????? Didn't you say your not fond of going 100mph???? The damn bike makes 185hp!!!! Sh!t, I got $500 cash for anybody on here that can out ride that machines capability on the track. I know my old ass couldn't out ride that beast no matter what yr!
    Last edited by wickedchop; 04-17-2018 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedchop View Post
    Upgrades????? Didn't you say your not fond of going 100mph???? The damn bike makes 185hp!!!! Sh!t, I got $500 cash for anybody on here that can out ride that machines capability on the track.
    174.29 with a tune & pipe
    1190sx-dynojet.jpg

Silver, if crsole can rip off a 1:19 lap at NJMP Thunderbolt course on the EBR 1190 with the chicane and not the dog leg I'll be waiting at pit out for him with $500 cash since he is so worried about upgrades!

Ease up there gentleman or I'm likely to work on a challenge like that and hurt myself trying! Just kidding. I just started riding 2 years ago and the xb is my first sport bike. I just want faster acceleration, not necessarily high speeds. I ride on city streets downtown, maybe 3 miles of interstate and a couple miles of city streets. No place for 100 mph. A commute. That's it mostly, but I want more acceleration and I assume stock exhaust doesn't let me hear the vtwin like my harley. Plus i dont like that pipe up on one side.

It's really too soon to do this upgrade but I just know I'll want an ebr in a year and they are getting scarce. I've looked. This one's through a dealer so i can trade. I'm losing $1k in trade but what option will i have if i cannot get an ebr in a year? Get a ducati or rice rocket? Not my style; just dont like that path.

You will be able to find an EBR in a year, no rush. Probably even a 0 mile brand new one. I had my brand new 2014 delivered to my door for under $8k. There were only very minor changes between 2014 and 2017, easily changed if you wish.

The 'exhaust on the side' isn't. It's a resonator, and can be removed. The muffler is still underneath like an XB or 1125. Search "EBR Tips mod". It sounds like you need to do a bunch of googling anyway, all your questions are pretty common.

If you've only been riding for 2 years, I would highly recommend a MSF course if you haven't already and also highly recommend a track day session. You will be addicted and it will teach you more about your bike in an afternoon than years of riding on the street.

If you just want a bit more acceleration without the investment:
    A XB 12 with XB 9 primary gearing is a fun ride.
    You could convert your XB 9 to chain final drive ($200-$300) and gear it lower.
    Or look into the 1125's. Approximately the same money as a nice XB, FAST with 146hp, slightly better commuter than a 1190(IMO), and the CR's are just seeeexy. See that guy in my avatar? I've seen him naked

And wickedchop is so right. The 1190 (like most new hyper sport bikes) is so far beyond what normal humans can actually ride it doesn't even matter.

Thanks Cooter. I've read a bunch but I'm sure there's always more to learn. I ask questions to get people talking and learn more.

I'd had two shoulder surgeries and couldn't barefoot waterski aggressively the way I had so I needed a new adrenaline outlet soo... I bought an iron 883 in 2016, learned to ride on my own near my house, took msf course and got my license. Rode that mostly stock for a year. I ride every day i can in temps between 20F and 100F as long as there's no rain, ice or snow. End of 2016 I got convinced by a coworker to buy a dual sport bike, klx250, and started riding gravel roads and an off road ohv park in addition to the city rides and work commuting on the iron883. Bought 2 more dual sport bikes to ride w gf and my son. Gf got license and rides too. Son is taking msf soon. Did stage 1 myself on the iron last year and tuned it--louder and quicker! Not quick enough though and big bore kit costs a lot (esp w heads & cams) but i really thought about it. Also it has no lean angle wo scraping pipe. Was looking for an fxr....still looking. So last May I bought a low rider s because I wanted a quicker bike and something better for 2up riding with my girlfriend. Great bike but heavy. Did a lot of short 2up rides and a few solo rides to work. Bike is awesome but it gets too hot to be stuck in traffic and again, cannot lean too far.

Finally got the Buell xb this year because I was fascinated with Eric Buell and the unique design ideas he has and these bikes are made to lean (gf was not fond of my getting a sport bike at all or I'd have gotten one sooner). I love the naked streetfighter looks on a sport bike and the performance aspects but i don't like the inline 4 jap bikes and ducatis are expensive. Besides I like American bikes. The xb is a super fun bike but doesn't feel much quicker than my iron 883. I've heard the xb12 is more torquey but not really much quicker than the xb9 due to gearing. So i started reading about ebr bikes. The 1190 sx seems to be a logical upgrade. However they are rare with probably only a few thousand in existence. I believe they will become hard to find and sought after soon. I am sentimental about these machines so if I miss the opportunity to enjoy one I'm sure I will be disappointed. Waiting concerns me.

I'm not really interested in track riding, yet lol, and the nearest one is probably
    really far away anyway. I just like to accelerate fast and wanna learn to lean and "dance with the bike" as buell puts it. I would also like to ride the curvy Wisconsin roads though sometime with something that can haul ass and lean. Iowa is so flat and straight, it's quite boring imo, except around the rivers but I do enjoy the city riding.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedchop View Post
    Upgrades????? Didn't you say your not fond of going 100mph???? The damn bike makes 185hp!!!! Sh!t, I got $500 cash for anybody on here that can out ride that machines capability on the track. I know my old ass couldn't out ride that beast no matter what yr!
    I'll bite! LOL silver can i borrow your bike?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast