Thread: New to Ulysses

New to Ulysses

Hello everyone, i just purchased a 2006 Buell Ulysses last week. I did an engine and primary oil change yesterday. The engine light was on and wouldn’t turn off, but the bike ran fine. After about 12 miles, the engine light turned off.

The fan wouldn’t turn on after filling up with fuel and it ran rough until i got home. Is this typical problem with these bikes? The bike only has 9000 miles and appears that previous owner took good care of it. Any advice would be helpful, thank you.

I've owned two Uly's. The fan is on a thermostat and suhould come on and off based on engine temperature. Spend some time and google the service manual for the bike it's about 5" thick printed but, it a must have.

Does it just run rough after it warms up or all the time

You can find the manual for free as a .pdf download at Buellmods.com and Buelltooth.com It has instructions to see why the CEL turned on.

The fan will turn on and off as needed, just like the electric fan in a car. Check it though, take off the seat and look at it. If it is wet with oil (from a rockerbox gasket leak) it's about the only thing that could cause it to need a replacement.

How rough was it running after filling up? Like on one cylinder? Could be a fouled plug. How does it run now? Be sure if you start it, to let it warm up. Repeated starting and shutting it off will foul plugs in these bikes quickly.

Inactive
    ulysses are all 1203cc models. they typically do NOT have problems particularly with the mileage accrued on yours. before you do ANYTHING and i mean ANYTHING....click the below and follow the simple instructions. you have a problem and you also have 1 or more stored fault codes. find out what they are using this diagnostic link, report back and i'll walk you thru the solutions.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...77/146574.html

^^^ listen to the above, You could also run 12v directly to the fan just to verify it is functional.

I will say that mine did develop a rear rocker box leak @ about 10k so looking for oil in the fan area would be wise as Cooter said. All in all a 9k mile uly should be pretty trouble free if it was cared for at all. Your check engine light situation sounds familiar to the "exhaust Servo stuck" situation mine had after removing the OE exhaust and leaving the cable hang( has your exhaust been changed?). DO!!! get ECMspy or do the pin out!!!! and get the code before wildly tearing into it, just wanted to reassure you its likely something small...