Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fouling Spark Plugs - Solution?

Fouling Spark Plugs - Solution?

Hello people. I've not been on here in a few years but always found people helpful.

I own a 2009 XB12Ss and bought a "stealth" slip on exhaust back in 2014. Using stock ECU + K&N + "Stealth" silencer - after very few miles the bike began to run bad pulling away requiring excessive throttle to over rev the bike to pull away otherwise it would stall. Once I pulled away the bike seem to run ok until the next stop.

I replacing the spark plugs with a new stock (Harleys 10RX12X) which fixed the problem for a few miles before the problem returned. I fitted Iridium plugs (Denso IXU27) but had the same problem.

I never did find answers so I refitted the stock muffler with a new set of plugs and the problem permanently went away.

3/4 years on and I want to revisit this problem as I still have the Stealth muffler and would like my bike to sound louder again.

I don't think there's a problem with my bike because it runs fine with stock muffler. So I am wondering if I need to change the spark plug temperatures to Hot or Cold? I use Harleys 10RX12X. Looking at old fouled plugs I noticed all of them sooty black but with not too much carbon on them but they are covered. One set had more fouling on the front pot compared to the back.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Here's a video of the problem with the Stealth slip on exhaust fitted - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNUXP8R8HRI

20140724_141850.jpg
    Last edited by devonbiker; 04-27-2018 at 08:16 PM.

Get the right plugs for you Buell, and check out Buelltooth.com for easy tuning solutions to get the ECM to run right with the pipe.

There is an automatic spark plug cleaning procedure built into the DDFI-3 ECM’s like the one on your bike. Buellmods.com and Buelltooth.com both have .pdf service manuals you can download for free.

Inactive
    NGK DCPR9EIX plugs work great in all XB's. seldom foul...crisp throttle response....gapped @ .035" are easy on the coil. try them along with perhaps a set of fresh plug wires, a TPS reset which is a 10 second proposition on your bike...and a 20 mile ride in "learn mode" and betting you'll see marked improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    NGK DCPR9EIX plugs work great in all XB's. seldom foul...crisp throttle response....gapped @ .035" are easy on the coil. try them along with perhaps a set of fresh plug wires, a TPS reset which is a 10 second proposition on your bike...and a 20 mile ride in "learn mode" and betting you'll see marked improvements.
    Stick with the DCPR8EIX. Stock is an 8 heat range from NGK.(Different brands use different heat ranges, lower means hotter with NGK) I had fouling issues with trying the colder plug so I don't recommend it much to the disagreement of many on the forum which Im not sure why. You're talking a 70-100°C difference with each step. You want to stay in the self cleaning zone. If adding a turbo or increasing compression Id agree to go colder.

FYI the Denso 27 is equivalent to a 9 NGK

The 10R12 is equivalent to an 8 NGK

You may be overly rich or have a weak coil/bad plug wires if you are fouling everything that quickly though. See article linked below
    http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-n...rk-plug-basics

Thank you Cooter. That looks very interesting but I have no idea how to tune a bike but I will look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by konarider94 View Post
    Stick with the DCPR8EIX. Stock is an 8 heat range from NGK.(Different brands use different heat ranges, lower means hotter with NGK) I had fouling issues with trying the colder plug so I don't recommend it much to the disagreement of many on the forum which Im not sure why. You're talking a 70-100°C difference with each step. You want to stay in the self cleaning zone. If adding a turbo or increasing compression Id agree to go colder.

FYI the Denso 27 is equivalent to a 9 NGK

The 10R12 is equivalent to an 8 NGK

You may be overly rich or have a weak coil/bad plug wires if you are fouling everything that quickly though. See article linked below
    http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-n...rk-plug-basics
    I was thinking of going hotter? But you seem to be saying keep with stock temperatures. What baffles me is that I run stock ECU with K&N and then the Stealth exhaust. If anything the bike should have run lean not richer?

So it looks to me that for some reason my bike runs rich when I fit the Stealth Exhaust slip on. How can a stock ECU run rich? arn't they supposed to run lean from the factory hence why you need to tune them (increase fuel) if you change exhausts?
    Last edited by devonbiker; 04-27-2018 at 08:04 PM.

Some people say go with the NGK 9's some people say go with the NGK 8's...... that's enough to convince me to stick with OEM plugs.

With there program I recommended, you can see right away if the ECM is compensating for a rich or lean condition. Look at the AFV. It is a global fuel map correction.

You can tune a bike, but you can't tuna fish!

Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    Some people say go with the NGK 9's some people say go with the NGK 8's...... that's enough to convince me to stick with OEM plugs.
    Funny!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast