Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fouling Spark Plugs - Solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    With there program I recommended, you can see right away if the ECM is compensating for a rich or lean condition. Look at the AFV. It is a global fuel map correction.

You can tune a bike, but you can't tuna fish!
    I'm quite excited about this device because I had lost all hope I could do anything affordable with my Buell and so left it in stock condition since 2014. Never did sell that exhaust so now I'm thinking of putting it back on. However, I am fairly confident with computers as I fix them for a living but tuning a bike?? I will need some help with this one. Trying to understand what the letters means is a good place to start. I cannot do this tuning alone thats for sure.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    Some people say go with the NGK 9's some people say go with the NGK 8's...... that's enough to convince me to stick with OEM plugs.

yes. do that. also recommend you "stick with" H-D/Buell house-brand lubricants or you'll void your warranty and motor won't perform correctly.

Start researching how to use ECMspy or ECM droid... tons of information out there. You can even find some pretty helpful YouTube videos.
    I’m no computer ace so i haven’t really dug that deep into my ecm. It’s an old school Buell race ecm and works “good enough” for my set up.
    Not sure where you’re located but I’d let you check out my Bluetooth dongle and ECMdroid if you in my neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    yes. do that. also recommend you "stick with" H-D/Buell house-brand lubricants or you'll void your warranty and motor won't perform correctly.
    No one is saying you cant use a brand outside of HD/Buell. Changing the heat range of the spark plug would be more analogous to deciding on a different oil viscosity. Its not really a brand thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    Start researching how to use ECMspy or ECM droid... tons of information out there. You can even find some pretty helpful YouTube videos.
    I’m no computer ace so i haven’t really dug that deep into my ecm. It’s an old school Buell race ecm and works “good enough” for my set up.
    Not sure where you’re located but I’d let you check out my Bluetooth dongle and ECMdroid if you in my neighborhood.
    I live in the UK but thanks for the offer.

I’ve now downloaded ECMdroid on my phone, just need to buy the Buelltooth next.

Just ordered over the weekend the Bueltooth and now awaiting delivery. Got my Stealth exhaust all cleaned up and plan to refit and see if I can "tune" my bike. Will need some help though as I will have questions.

You'll probably be just fine downloading the Buell 'Race' tune using ECMDroid.

Remember, it doesn't have to be perfect, just close enough the ECM can compensate.

If you want to get into detailed datalogging and building your own tune, there are much better tools out the for that. ECMSpy, TunerPro, Mega Log Viewer....

You'll probably be just fine downloading the Buell 'Race' tune using ECMDroid.

Remember, it doesn't have to be perfect, just close enough the ECM can compensate.

If you want to get into detailed datalogging and building your own tune, there are much better tools out the for that. ECMSpy, TunerPro, Mega Log Viewer....
    Yeah I don't really want to start doing that as I know I'll mess it up. So downloading a map would suit me better.

I removed the rear cylinder spark plug yesterday and the ceramic around the electrode looks like a dark tan - this is running stock with K&N. Compared that to one of the plugs that fouled 3 years ago with the Stealth slip on fitted and that looks black and all sooted up. So my guess is that its running rich which the Stealth. From what I have seen I need to play around with the AFV around the 100% mark - give or take. I'll check that out when the Bueltooth arrives.

If you are unsure of how to download a tune yourself, using Tim at IDS is a very good option. He can either send you a properly tuned ECM or put the correct tune on your ECM for you

If you are unsure of how to download a tune yourself, using Tim at IDS is a very good option. He can either send you a properly tuned ECM or put the correct tune on your ECM for you
    Sounds good but what is IDS?

Here's my fouled Denso plugs after a few hundred miles from new. Left is front cylinder right rear.
    Buell---Fouled-Denso-Spark-Plugs.jpg

Front - Spark plugs from my Stock exhaust today
    Buell---HD-Front-Spark-Plug.jpg

Rear - Spark plugs from my Stock exhaust today
    Buell---HD-Rear-Spark-Plug.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast