Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital technician to check trouble codes and timing?

Digital technician to check trouble codes and timing?

Where can I find " digital technician' to check my timing and or the codes that would be coming up? My check engine light is coming on while riding on the freeway. the odd part is that it comes on for about five seconds at speed and then the engine gets all funny for a bit and then everything returns to normal. While the codes still chow after the light goes out?

Inactive
    the odd part is that it comes on for about five seconds at speed and then the engine gets all funny for a bit and then everything returns to normal.
    typically fault code #16

While the codes still chow after the light goes out?
    still chow as in going to the mess hall for 3 squares a day? doubt it. but YES....they'll still "show".

failed to list year....model....mileage...recent maintenance or parts replacement.....etc....etc
    so i'll lazily respond in kind.
    click link below. instructions for doing self-diagnostics. CANNOT clear fault codes with this method....only view them.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...77/146574.html
    Last edited by user_deleted; 04-26-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Follow Lunatics words of advice.
    If you don’t like that method of diagnostics start looking into either ECMspy or ECMdroid. If not familiar with those diagnostic tools, google search “Buell xb” and plug in either one.... tons of info out there.
    Or you could find a Harley dealer that still has the “digital technician” and pay them $80 to tell you what your fault code is.
    Where are you located? You might get lucky and have a kind Bueller near by.....

Good luck

Banned
    My bet is on low battery voltage or low IAC sensor codes.

Using your crystal balls again TPEHAK? You don't even know if his bike HAS an IAC

OP: What year is your bike? Pre-'07 is DDFI-2 and has no IAC. It also needs a program to re-set the TPS, instead of the easy procedure on the DDFI-3 08-up bikes.

Using the good help Lunatic gave you and you can see why the CEL is coming on. To diagnose the bike further, I would recommend the free program ECMDroid (Google Play Store) because it's so easy to use. You will need to let it communicate with your bike using a Bluetooth dongle.Both of those can be found at Buelltooth.com as well as the service manual, also found at Buellmods.com
    Last edited by Cooter; 04-26-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Step aside. I’ve been sent by the Internet and am fully Facebook certified.

I’d suggest plugging into an Interocitor. Make sure to turn the Intensifier disc no more than 23 degrees (the manual only says 18 degrees, 23 works better IMHO) counterclockwise. If you send me a PM, I’ll send you mine... I’ve only been using it to make hot chocolate these days.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 04-29-2018 at 11:43 PM.

Don't be dumb 34:19, you would obviously NEVER use the original Interociter for that! It's only meant for Buells built in the springtime and hot toddys of course! Geez, get a clue, 23* is ludicrous!

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Don't be dumb 34:19, you would obviously NEVER use the original Interociter for that! It's only meant for Buells built in the springtime and hot toddys of course! Geez, get a clue, 23* is ludicrous!

LOL

I'd ask for him to send pics, but they will probably only appear as black fog.

I'm going to disagree with you about the capability of the Interocitor. Let me know and I will send you a copy of the Electronic Service, Unit #16 guide (the metal one).

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...wn-Interocitor

The bike is a stock 2004 XB12R with about 32000 miles. Recently the bike was miss firing which prompted me to change the spark plugs. I'm located in Tucson Arizona and I apologize for my lack of knowledge on this subject.I just refuse to give any more money to Harley Davidson as any time I've dealt with them in the past the only thing they seem to care about is how much money they can get out of you.I'd rather attempt to do it myself and learn a thing or two( in my case a lot) about how my bike operates. Since doing repairs on my own in the past I've found some of the "sub-par" work that was done. In the past, I've replaced the voltage regulator twice and the stator three times ( HD sent me faulty ones 2 times... don't get me started). I will look into the diagnostic tools to investigate further and hopefully learn a few new things. Thanks for the info everyone

Here is the short, non-whimsical version of what you need:

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    the odd part is that it comes on for about five seconds at speed and then the engine gets all funny for a bit and then everything returns to normal.
    typically fault code #16

While the codes still chow after the light goes out?
    still chow as in going to the mess hall for 3 squares a day? doubt it. but YES....they'll still "show".

failed to list year....model....mileage...recent maintenance or parts replacement.....etc....etc
    so i'll lazily respond in kind.
    click link below. instructions for doing self-diagnostics. CANNOT clear fault codes with this method....only view them.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...77/146574.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Using the good help Lunatic gave you and you can see why the CEL is coming on. To diagnose the bike further, I would recommend the free program ECMDroid (Google Play Store) because it's so easy to use. You will need to let it communicate with your bike using a Bluetooth dongle.Both of those can be found at Buelltooth.com as well as the service manual, also found at Buellmods.com

To go through 2 R/R's already and been given 2 "faulty" stators from HD indicates a larger problem. Download that service book, buy a good DVOM, and read through the book.

If you need parts, I use Chandler Harley Davidson, or good old Lance at St. Paul HD. He's a good dude and will give it to you straight.

https://st-paul-harley-davidson-buell.myshopify.com/

Last edited by 34nineteen; 04-30-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast