Thread: New to the forum and new to BUELL!

New to the forum and new to BUELL!

Hey everyone! I joined the forum to give you guys a big thank you!

I recently came across a craigslist ad for an 06 XB12R that had been stored in a shed for over a year. The owner couldn't figure out how to fix his broken throttle body, so he tossed the bike in storage halfway disassembled. The price was right and thinking that this might be the only fix required (never the case), I jumped at the opportunity and bought the bike as a project. Fixing beat down bikes is a hobby of mine and while the owner seemed trustworthy, I figured there was more to the story than meets the eye...there was.

Apparently the owner left the airbox completely off the bike leaving the broken throttle body open and exposed. I'm guessing the bike was left outside a time or two before going into storage because after looking at the intake ports on both cylinders, I knew we had a problem. The valves looked as if they had a rust colored algae growing on them and there was this nasty orange slime everywhere. Here is a before/after pic of one of the intake ports showing when I first got the bike vs when I was finished with it. I can't take credit for the cleaning as I sent the parts out to a specialty shop along with a brand new set of valves, guides, etc.

IMG_6339.jpg

This treatment was given to both cylinders along with new piston rings, a fresh hone, new gasket kit, and several other basic necessities.

I did use the owners manual for just about everything, but when it came to certain torque values and other random BUELL facts, I turned to multiple threads in this forum. I want to also contribute to the community so I have actually decided to start documenting all of my future projects starting with this XB. I have a YouTube channel where I have already uploaded 4 video segments of the rebuild, and I am currently working on getting the rest of the footage online. I would love to share a link to my channel, but with this being my first post, any Admin feel free to chime in if I should be posting the link in another thread.

I'm excited to be a part of the forum and look forward to learning more about BUELL's!

Banned
    How much did you pay for the repair?

You can buy all necessary tools and parts for less than repair price and do it on your own

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...utside-surface
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 04-27-2018 at 02:33 AM.

I spent a lot of time with scotch brite pads and a cordless drill cleaning up those heads, but I just wasn't happy with the end result. I wanted brand new valves and valve guides due to pitting I found on the valves and rust inside the guides from the water found in the engine. I bought all OEM parts and couldn't remove the guides myself so I paid the shop $175/head to do it all. Worth every penny imo.

Congrats on the fun project! Welcome to the forum and glad you got it done so well. Post more pics, we love them pics

Inactive
    i hold people who resurrect neglected, abused clunkers in the highest regard. anyone can buy new or near flawless....few have the talents, abilities and motivation to buy orphans and refresh to like-new condition. i salute you!
    i also see that unfortunately you've been trolled by nitwit TEABAG. disregard him. why? whatever you do he'll know a better method...whatever you suggest he'll strike it down...whatever you've done he could have done it much better.
    having a shop well versed in H-D/Buell motors check and hone cylinders along with rebuilding the heads is a wise decision and money well spent.

Nice to resurrect a motorcycle, even nicer if it's a Buell !

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome! Looking forward to the pictures and videos 🤓

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! The project itself is complete but I am still working to get all the footage compiled and uploaded onto my YouTube channel. I have 5 videos uploaded so far with a few more to come before I start my next project. I'm hoping to have the rest of the videos uploaded in the next month or so. Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQD...rnMTysqL2Crtlg