Thread: Mysterious oil leak

Mysterious oil leak

Okay so I'm 02 x1 has a weird oil leak. It was in the garage all winter and it would leak. There was a puddle under it all winter. It ran down the shock and I finally got around to cleaning the bike last week and pressure washed everything and every since then nothing. I have put probably 150 miles on the bike since i washed it and nothing. No oil anywhere. It looses oil but I can't find where it's coming from. It's not burning it. And i can't see a leak. Any ideas?

Inactive
    a common condition experienced by old sportsters and 2-stroke transmissions with great regularity during prolonged storage/down-time. i'll hazard a guess here as to what your situation is: seal leakage. you had a bit of "sumping" into the crankcase cavity....perhaps a slightly over-filled primary.....presumably the bike was sitting on its sidestand for an extended period of time....that lubricant worked its way via gravity towards 1 or more somewhat weak from wear and tear seals...and dripped out. once you righted the bike, lit it up and started riding again the seal somewhat "refreshed itself" and the leak stopped. that's my guess.

I have experience exactly what Lunatic describes. If it is't leaking anymore, don't worry about it.

If you are still consuming oil, but no sign of a leak, it could just be a little tired. I would use about 1 qt every 2000 miles of hard riding on an old M-2 with 65,000 miles on it. Even though the pistons, rings, cylinders were newer (1250 kit) and there was no tell-tale smoke it would still use oil, but not enough to mark up the plugs or make a 2-stroke trail.

Run it, have fun, and check your oil level often

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I have experience exactly what Lunatic describes. If it is't leaking anymore, don't worry about it.

If you are still consuming oil, but no sign of a leak, it could just be a little tired. I would use about 1 qt every 2000 miles of hard riding on an old M-2 with 65,000 miles on it. Even though the pistons, rings, cylinders were newer (1250 kit) and there was no tell-tale smoke it would still use oil, but not enough to mark up the plugs or make a 2-stroke trail.

Run it, have fun, and check your oil level often
    Well that makes sense. I'll keep an eye on it and hope for the best!! Thank guys!!! You never disappoint.

Inactive
    my pleasure. i would NEVER add a "seal swell" type conditioner to either motor oil or trans/primary oil but what will help during future storage is drain 1 pint out of the primary prior to storage....tape a note to the dash or ignition switch proclaiming so....and store in a more upright position. that should solve it. works like a charm with all old 2-strokes and "weepy" trans seals.