Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pleeease help me decide!!!

Tomahawk...have fun deciding! I'm sure it goes without saying to look them over very carefully. Lots of good info on here about things to look for in purchasing a used Buell. Do the craigslist ads include photos? You can post the links to the ads so everyone can take a look. Keep us posted!

I apologize for hijacking the thread but I'm also in desperate need of help deciding which bike to get for my first buell. I have a 2005 xb9sx and a 2007 xb12s that I'm looking at price is within $500 of each other and the 12s only has 1000 more miles. Is there any major differences between 2 that would sway my decision? I'm new to Buell and from what I can tell they're almost identical except for the old "there's no replacement for displacement"

Without knowing any info about the bikes besides their model, that a tough decision.

A 9 will rev faster and have a slightly higher redline, a 12 will torque you everywhere.

Given that choice, I'd choose the 2005 SX over the 2007 S. I'd be highly suspect of the 2007's motor, as they had a history of bad cranks. However, 10+ years later, those should all be worked out.

I've owned both and I enjoyed my XB9SX. Like the Coot mentioned, there is a difference is feel between the two motors and I enjoyed the quicker revving traits of the 9.

I think a more important factor is the history of the bike. A bike owned by someone like LuNaTiC FrInGe will carry MUCH more value than one covered in Monster stickers, where the owner revved the living snot out of it and kept the front wheel pointed skyward after every stoplight.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 05-10-2018 at 05:53 PM.

Totally. Mileage is supposed to be a indication of wear and tear. That's why the value of a vehicle goes down as the mileage goes up. People mistake mileage as the only indicator, but really it's only one small factor in the wear and tear of a bike. THAT is the 'magic' of buying a good ride.

When I buy a used bike for me, a lot of it has to do with the person, and not just the bike. I look at them, are they unkempt? Look at their stuff, are they cheap? They treated the bike just like themselves and everything else they have in the garage. I don't want to see any toolbox either, unless its immaculate.

Is the brake fluid clear? It's easy to flush but no one does it It is a surprisingly effective indication of a properly (or dealer) serviced bike.
    Cleaning wheels is a PITA, So nice wheels are another way to see if they put any effort or care into the bike.
    Is there little bits of tire rubber stuck in the rear shock Mr. Burn Out?
    Is it filthy?
    Are there racer guy stickers like 34:19 said?
    I like to see the sellers helmet. Nice and new? or a $50, 10 year old lid thats seen Botts dots up close?
    I have the seller start it. Watch closely, does he just bang it on without looking? or does he have a careful procedure. I also have him ride it down the street, so I can see if it tracks straight, and how he rides it cold.

Good luck, post pics, and enjoy the Buell. You'll be happy with either

They both appear to be well kept (from what I can see on a CL ad) and the are both bone stock except fender eliminators. The only red flag was that the 9sx has a "custom" paint job that looks like he just added a stripe to the airbox. I'd obviously have to see it in person to decide whether or not it's at least been tipped. As far as tuneability, maintenance, and reliability they are generally close though?

And thank you cooter for the excellent list of things to look for

Quote Originally Posted by Ooftabud View Post
    As far as tuneability, maintenance, and reliability they are generally close though?
    Yes.

Be careful of those guys with custom painted Buells. Its not green is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I like to see the sellers helmet. Nice and new? or a $50, 10 year old lid thats seen Botts dots up close?

Whats Botts dots?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Totally. Mileage is supposed to be a indication of wear and tear. That's why the value of a vehicle goes down as the mileage goes up. People mistake mileage as the only indicator, but really it's only one small factor in the wear and tear of a bike. THAT is the 'magic' of buying a good ride.:

In some cases, an ultra low mileage one may be a worse deal than one that has a fair amount of miles.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast