Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Pleeease help me decide!!!

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by submax View Post
    I see what you're saying, John. But, I think it might actually be a VT500 Ascot engine...even more disconcerting.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...t500e%2083.htm
    hell of a call James and you're exactly correct. the coveted and highly sought-after Ascot! and yes....frightfully disconcerting.
    Shaughn: cool schematic you offered up. it's an air-cooled....2-stroke....piston port....reed-valve induction....pre-mix only Single. never offered in a US available street bike that i recall so i'm going with something like a Jap dirt-bike motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Ya, the pipe next to '50' that look like it goes up to that frame hole and has clamps on it? The mystery!! lol

Hmmm, I do still have the screen. I'd be willing to make some if there was some interest.
    Or it could be trying to illustrate the oil cooler?

I was wondering what that hole in the chin fairing was for, makes sense now !
    Did anyone ever use that hole for scooping up extra air to the engine ?

Put me in for a large shirt, like Cooter's !

Update in my Buell search. I found a 2009 xb9s with 7700 miles on it for about the same price as the other 2 with double the miles. It definitely shows that it's been sitting for a while via weathered , still factory, tires and even rust on the rear... (Sprocket??), Was dusty and even had cobb webs in the shock. Dude bought it 4 years ago in California while in the Navy and promptly got shipped out after buying it (so he says). All stock except jardine can and adjustable levers. He started it and revved it without letting it warm up. Claims only maintenance has been oil changes that he did himself so no records. Yay or nay?

I’d jump on the 09. If it’s as you say, you are likely going to need new tires and probably some attention to the fuel system as the gas is likely all funky. So, bear that in mind. I think all Harley bikes have that one owner who fires it up and revs it cold, then shuts it down.

If you don’t mind putting some more $$$ into it and have a nicer machine in the long run. This would be the one.

If you just want to put gas in and ride, the others would probably be better.

Myself, i’d hold out for an SS. But that’s a thread jack for another time.

Putting a little money into it doesn't bother me. I'd probably just bring up the things that will need to be addressed right away and offer a little less. I hate to impulse buy but this might be an exception

Considering it's the newest with the least miles of the 4 for sale within 500 miles of me

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Totally. Mileage is supposed to be a indication of wear and tear. That's why the value of a vehicle goes down as the mileage goes up. People mistake mileage as the only indicator, but really it's only one small factor in the wear and tear of a bike. THAT is the 'magic' of buying a good ride.

When I buy a used bike for me, a lot of it has to do with the person, and not just the bike. I look at them, are they unkempt? Look at their stuff, are they cheap? They treated the bike just like themselves and everything else they have in the garage. I don't want to see any toolbox either, unless its immaculate.

Is the brake fluid clear? It's easy to flush but no one does it It is a surprisingly effective indication of a properly (or dealer) serviced bike.
    Cleaning wheels is a PITA, So nice wheels are another way to see if they put any effort or care into the bike.
    Is there little bits of tire rubber stuck in the rear shock Mr. Burn Out?
    Is it filthy?
    Are there racer guy stickers like 34:19 said?
    I like to see the sellers helmet. Nice and new? or a $50, 10 year old lid thats seen Botts dots up close?
    I have the seller start it. Watch closely, does he just bang it on without looking? or does he have a careful procedure. I also have him ride it down the street, so I can see if it tracks straight, and how he rides it cold.

Good luck, post pics, and enjoy the Buell. You'll be happy with either

Here is a good article on CT that discusses mileage and used bike purchases.

I think Cooter plagiarized Lemmy... or was is the other way around? Lol

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...%7C%20Combined

Quote Originally Posted by Ooftabud View Post
    Putting a little money into it doesn't bother me. I'd probably just bring up the things that will need to be addressed right away and offer a little less. I hate to impulse buy but this might be an exception
    Define “a little money”. Proper tires for this bike will probably set you back in the neighborhood of $500 easy... especially if you don’t own a stand or don’t have the skill or desire to get the bike off the ground and pull the wheels. If you live in an apt, that may be the case regardless. Sgt. Shinko may step in and call me out on this, but he also has a garage, tire changing tools, a way to lift the bike and likely a TR acct. But then again, he is Sgt. Shinko, you (and I) are not.

Then, say your fuel pump dies a month later. You gotta get the bike back off the ground and take a bath in gasoline (everyone does their first time) when you pull the pump. And if your that apt dweller, and the tire changing fiasco didn’t get you in trouble with the leasing office. I guarantee you the pool of gasoline in the parking lot will likely get you evicted.

And even if that isn’t the case, do you have an SO who will be understanding that you just shelled out $500 for tires and now have to spend a couple hundred getting the fuel pump (including jack/rear stand and other tools,etc) . My old SO hated my Cyclone as every week it was another weekend and more and more $$$ spent on the bike and not on her. Eventually she just wore me down and I basically gave it away to get her off my back.

My $0.02

Lastly, I buy my bikes so I can have a project to spin wrenches and spend money on.

I have a Sportster and it is sooo boring. I think my biggest upcoming mod is how to really make the paint shine.

Seriously, the mods are spend $500 for a $50 part, unscrew the retaining screws, unplug old part, plug in new, reattach and tighten retaining screws.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast