Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Pleeease help me decide!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Here is a good article on CT that discusses mileage and used bike purchases.

I think Cooter plagiarized Lemmy... or was is the other way around? Lol

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...%7C%20Combined
    No way! That's awesome! I do read the Revzilla articles and that Lemmy guy is funny. I'd like to share a beer with him one day

Cooter, you never would have bought my 07 SS, 2000 miles away with only seeing a couple of pictures that looked a bit odd, which ended up being a layer of sawdust because he only had room to store it in his wood working shop, I was the only one that called him after seeing it on Cycle trader for two weeks and thanks to Silverrider who posted it on Buellybaggers.Some times and I mean some times, one must take a shot in the dark to find the diamond in the rough or needle in the haystack but, it s a gamble. I did speak to the owner and he originally bought it in Idaho but now resided in Texas. As one gets older, one learns to read people or at least you try your best, I liked the way this guy sounded and he volunteered information I didn't ask for. If you can afford to take a shot, make it as educated as possible. It's always better to make a purchase face to face when possible.

Yep a diamond in the Dust . Glad you bought it !

Cooterfuscuous is wise and would have been all over your SS. It truly is the exception from the norm.

Hey, you have don't blow smoke up his a_s, I'm not putting him down. His way of investigating the purchase of a bike makes perfect sense to me, in fact I would pretty much do the same thing and I absolutely recommend it ! I'm just talking about that once in a blue moon, a shot at getting some thing you want that comes up and you can't really investigate that thoroughly due to circumstances, example would be distance and time or even money or, all three.

I used to have a neighbor, her uncle was semi retired and would read the auto's for sale section of the papers ( that shows you how long ago it was ), he would buy and sell cars. One day he reads an add, it says 1963 Chevy Corvair, he calls and ends up speaking to an old lady who's husband just passed away. She wants $1500 for it, he explains to her that it would have to be in perfect condition to be worth that much money in this market, but he goes to see it any way. He brings his wife with him, it's in a rural part of N.J. They knock on the door and an old lady answers the door and tells them the car is in the barn to come around the back, as they are walking up to the barn they can see that the car is covered because the barn doors are open, he leans over to his wife and say, don't say a word. He pulls the cover off the car, turns around and tells the lady he'll take it and hands over the $1500.

It ends up being a 1963 split rear window Corvette with very low milage ! Right place, right time and, willing to take a chance to go out and look at a car he didn't think was worth the money !

So be alert, do your investigating thoroughly and as best as possible but, always bring cash !

My bike, 07 xb12ss was posted by Silverrider and sat on the buelly bagger's list for about 2-3 weeks, nobody arranged to call this guy up, not even me, but I had just missed a good deal and was just looking through some older posts and decided to email this guy with my cell number, after speaking with him, we made arrangements for me to buy the bike.

P.S. Silver, I like that " a diamond in the dust " it truly was ! In fact, I'm renaming the bike, Dusty !
    Last edited by njloco; 05-20-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Hey, you have don't blow smoke up his a_s, I'm not putting him down. His way of investigating the purchase of a bike makes perfect sense to me, in fact I would pretty much do the same thing and I absolutely recommend it ! I'm just talking about that once in a blue moon, a shot at getting some thing you want that comes up and you can't really investigate that thoroughly due to circumstances, example would be distance and time or even money or, all three.

I used to have a neighbor, her uncle was semi retired and would read the auto's for sale section of the papers ( that shows you how long ago it was ), he would buy and sell cars. One day he reads an add, it says 1963 Chevy Corvair, he calls and ends up speaking to an old lady who's husband just passed away. She wants $1500 for it, he explains to her that it would have to be in perfect condition to be worth that much money in this market, but he goes to see it any way. He brings his wife with him, it's in a rural part of N.J. They knock on the door and an old lady answers the door and tells them the car is in the barn to come around the back, as they are walking up to the barn they can see that the car is covered because the barn doors are open, he leans over to his wife and say, don't say a word. He pulls the cover off the car, turns around and tells the lady he'll take it and hands over the $1500.

It ends up being a 1963 split rear window Corvette with very low milage ! Right place, right time and, willing to take a chance to go out and look at a car he didn't think was worth the money !

So be alert, do your investigating thoroughly and as best as possible but, always bring cash !

My bike, 07 xb12ss was posted by Silverrider and sat on the buelly bagger's list for about 2-3 weeks, nobody arranged to call this guy up, not even me, but I had just missed a good deal and was just looking through some older posts and decided to email this guy with my cell number, after speaking with him, we made arrangements for me to buy the bike.

P.S. Silver, I like that " a diamond in the dust " it truly was ! In fact, I'm renaming the bike, Dusty !

Sorry, it wasn’t meant to be like that. You did get a smoking deal.

I put a cap on how far i’m willing to go to get a bike.

When I bought my 1125CR, the owner praised how great of shape it was in. The original plan was that I would fly to Houston, seller would pick me up at the airport, I would give him cash and ride it home. Things on my side went awry and I wound up driving to pick it up. It was in beautiful shape like he promised... but I noticed in loading it up, the rear brake was dragging, pretty bad. It was too late to haggle or negotiate as I already drove 1400 miles and going home empty handed would have been worse... as I knew it would be an easy fix in my garage (and it was). I don’t think the seller realized the issue as he was riding his new bike and the 1125 was just sitting in the corner.

Anyhow, lesson learned...

Another one was when I was looking for a bike for my current project, I found one on CL locally and went to check it out. It was a little more than I was willing to spend. The bike was rougher than I thought. But the mileage seemed weird. It was an ‘82 with 38k. When I commented that the bike seemed rough for 38k, the seller commented “oh, that’s 138k!”.

Anyhow loco, I’m glad that SS found a home with someone who will do it right., I’m always happy for you to hear that story. Couldn’t happen to a better guy! (No blowing smoke, either). Hopefully you (and others) get a laugh or at least a good face palm out of my stories.

PS. One of my good friends who recently passed had a ‘64 Vette in his garage that he had been painstaking restoring for 25 years! He also had a ‘67 Corvair he was restoring. Vettes are cool, but 34:19 really likes Corvairs.
    RIP Timmy!
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 05-20-2018 at 03:45 PM.

http://allthatsinteresting.com/blowing-smoke

You guys are awesome. But just so you know... I am a total hypocrite. My advise was for someone much smarter than me.
    I'm willing to take a chance if the deal seems good enough, but my track record is FAR from perfect:

I have bought a van at night (a big no-no) from a guy who was living in it, and I even let him sleep there until he found another van. Thank God he took the mattress, yuk.
    A wrecked, non-running 'track only' XBS in a HURRICANE. A real HURRICANE. Lightning, thunder, whipping rain.... The irony was not lost on either party.
    A boat with no engine (never do that), Ever. Just no.
    A different, big, boat that I lived on for 2 months before I found out the guy I bought it from didn't actually own it (the sheriff told me not so nicely at 2am).
    A '69 Firebird Formula 400 convertible that a crack-head had taken every single bolt out of () after his girlfriend molotov cocktailed the interior.
    A '67 Chevelle with a tree growing out of the open hood. Not a sapling. A tree.
    Traded a Ninja ZX-10 for a Caddy SDV Limo top, that I lowered with a torch that night and drove 7 hours through the desert the next morning to put 11 people in it to get to a Vegas wedding reception, then to Laughlin NV where it promptly puked its Jet-a-way transmission all over the strip. Caught fire. Twice. So, no choice, I had both of my girlfriends finally meet each other, and that didn't go as well as I thought it might either.

Edit: I remembered the Caddy story recently when I ran across this old pic:

There was a time that I swear I could hear an audible moan when I showed up to the DMV.

Remember kids! Learn from Uncle Coot's mistakes so you don't have too
    Last edited by Cooter; 05-20-2018 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    http://allthatsinteresting.com/blowing-smoke

You guys are awesome. But just so you know... I am a total hypocrite. My advise was for someone much smarter than me.
    I'm willing to take a chance if the deal seems good enough, but my track record is FAR from perfect:

I have bought a van at night (a big no-no) from a guy who was living in it, and I even let him sleep there until he found another van. Thank God he took the mattress, yuk.
    A wrecked, non-running 'track only' XBS in a HURRICANE. A real HURRICANE. Lightning, thunder, whipping rain.... The irony was not lost on either party.
    A boat with no engine (never do that), Ever. Just no.
    A different, big, boat that I lived on for 2 months before I found out the guy I bought it from didn't actually own it (the sheriff told me not so nicely at 2am).
    A '69 Firebird Formula 400 convertible that a crack-head had taken every single bolt out of () after his girlfriend molotov cocktailed the interior.
    A '67 Chevelle with a tree growing out of the open hood. Not a sapling. A tree.
    Traded a Ninja ZX-10 for a Caddy SDV Limo top, that I lowered with a torch that night and drove 7 hours through the desert the next morning to put 11 people in it to get to a Vegas wedding reception, then to Laughlin NV where it promptly puked its Jet-a-way transmission all over the strip. Caught fire. Twice. So, no choice, I had both of my girlfriends finally meet each other, and that didn't go as well as I thought it might either.

Edit: I remembered the Caddy story recently when I ran across this old pic:

There was a time that I swear I could hear an audible moan when I showed up to the DMV.

Remember kids! Learn from Uncle Coot's mistakes so you don't have too

Hahaha!! Those are awesome! I was beginning to think I was the only one whose sole purpose in life was to serve as a reminder of what not to do!

Yeah John, but saw the vet first hand when he brought it over to show his sister and her daughter, mint condition, he told me the story again even though I already heard it from the daughter, his niece.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456